Katie Holmes could have played Piper on "Orange is the New Black," according to the creator of the hit Netflix series -- but the actress was too busy to take the role.
In an interview with E! News at a Directors Guild Association event in honor of the show Monday, "Orange" creator Jenji Kohan revealed that she met with the former "Dawson's Creek" star about the project when it was in its infancy, but the collaboration just wasn't meant to be.
"I'm a big fan of hers," Kohan told E! " ... [But] she had other things to do. And also in the beginning, no one knew what this was."
The role eventually went to Taylor Schilling, who scored an Emmy nomination for the first season of the Netflix series. And while Schilling is no doubt grateful that Holmes didn't take the part instead, the actress said she'd be open to Holmes guest-starring on the program.
"She could be friends with Lorna [Yael Stone] or like Lorna's Boston sister," Schilling suggested.
But Kate Mulgrew, who plays Red on the series (and also got an Emmy nod), noted that Holmes would have to be careful if she entered the "OITNB" world.
"She better watch herself," Mulgrew told E!. "Pretty girls have to watch out in prison."
[via: E! News]
- 20 Disney GIFs That Accurately Describe Your Adult Life - POPSUGAR
- Chris Pratt May Be the New Indiana Jones - Vulture
- The Controversial Tweets About 'American Sniper' - POPSUGAR
- Honest Trailer: 'Gone Girl' - ScreenJunkies
- The Complete History of Comic-Book Movies: 'Batman' - ScreenCrush
- The All-Female 'Ghostbusters' Cast Is Perfect - POPSUGAR
- 11 TV Shows From 2014 to Binge Watch Right Now - Rotten Tomatoes
- Emma Watson Will Star as Belle in Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' - POPSUGAR
- Is Liam Hemsworth Starring in the New 'Independence Day'? - Vulture
- 20 Things About James Bond Movies You Might Not Have Known - ScreenCrush