Katie Holmes could have played Piper on "Orange is the New Black," according to the creator of the hit Netflix series -- but the actress was too busy to take the role.
In an interview with E! News at a Directors Guild Association event in honor of the show Monday, "Orange" creator Jenji Kohan revealed that she met with the former "Dawson's Creek" star about the project when it was in its infancy, but the collaboration just wasn't meant to be.
"I'm a big fan of hers," Kohan told E! " ... [But] she had other things to do. And also in the beginning, no one knew what this was."
The role eventually went to Taylor Schilling, who scored an Emmy nomination for the first season of the Netflix series. And while Schilling is no doubt grateful that Holmes didn't take the part instead, the actress said she'd be open to Holmes guest-starring on the program.
"She could be friends with Lorna [Yael Stone] or like Lorna's Boston sister," Schilling suggested.
But Kate Mulgrew, who plays Red on the series (and also got an Emmy nod), noted that Holmes would have to be careful if she entered the "OITNB" world.
"She better watch herself," Mulgrew told E!. "Pretty girls have to watch out in prison."
[via: E! News]
- 30 Spooky Movie Couples - POPSUGAR
- 10 Ludicrous Villains That Were Terrible Horror Monsters - HitFix
- 'Cabin Fever' Is Going to be Remade - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Fight Club' (2014) - ScreenJunkies
- Key and Peele Are Finally Making a Movie - Vulture
- Meet the Freaks of 'American Horror Story' - POPSUGAR
- The 11 Worst Batman Villains - Vulture
- 15 Pop-Culture Costumes That Take Very Little Effort - POPSUGAR
- 15 New Details About 'Interstellar' - Vulture
- Best Horror Movies Ever - Rotten Tomatoes