The actor expressed his remorse at seeing Wright go during a recent roundtable discussion, in which Douglas opened up about shooting such a high-profile Marvel project.
"Yeah, he's a wonderful talent. It was very disappointing, yeah," Douglas told Collider of Wright's abrupt departure earlier this year from the quirky superhero project, which the director had shepherded from the beginning.
"It was a big disappointment and more so for him because he had a lot of years invested and he was really the one initially who got them to even consider it, you know, the screenplay that he wrote," Douglas continued. "I'm not the producer on it and I'm an actor for hire, and, you know, Marvel certainly has a pretty amazing track record, rightly or wrongly, so I think it just was that kind of combination where although they like the idea of the individual and somebody with Edgar's individual spirit and everything, maybe just collided with an operation -- I think they're all on relatively decent terms."
While Douglas certainly isn't the first person to empathize with Wright following his exit -- Marvel directors Joss Whedon and James Gunn also threw their support behind the filmmaker -- it's interesting that he would speak publicly about his disappointment when he's set to start filming with replacement director Peyton Reed soon. Still, his remarks were carefully considered, and certainly not inflammatory in any way; if anything, it shows he's a class act who's willing to acknowledge a loss of talent while still expressing excitement for his involvement in the project.
Douglas also told Collider that he's planning on making an appearance at San Diego Comic-Con, so expect him -- and his other "Ant-Man" cohorts, perhaps? -- to have more to say then.
"Ant-Man" is scheduled to hit theaters on July 17, 2015.
Photo by John ShearerInvision/AP