Rowling has posted a new story on Pottermore, which provides an update on 34-year-old Harry. As readers well know, "Deathly Hallows" ended with an epilogue set 19 years in the future, with a 37-year-old Harry sending his second son off to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. So, this new story takes place three years prior to the epilogue.
The story takes the form of a gossip column written by Rita Skeeter, who spies a "certain gang of infamous wizards" at the Quidditch World Cup in Patagonia. Of course, Skeeter was never Harry's biggest fan and still seems to hold a grudge against him, but some highlights can be gleaned from her writing:
- Harry is working as an Auror and has "threads of silver" in his hair. He also has another scar on his right cheek.
- Ginny is a sports reporter who's been covering the World Cup.
- Ron left the Ministry of Magic after two years to help George run Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.
- Hermione is rising fast at the Ministry and is the Deputy Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Her hair still annoys Rita.
- The still "delightfully eccentric" Luna Lovegood married "swarthy" Rolf Scamander, grandson of Magizoologist Newt (protagonist of the upcoming "Harry Potter" spinoff movie, "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.")
- Neville Longbottom is a professor at Hogwarts and is married to Hannah Abbott.
- Victor Krum is a Seeker for the Bulgarian Quidditch team.
- Harry's 16-year-old godson Teddy Lupin is snogging Victoire, Bill and Fleur's daughter.
Read the whole thing at Pottermore.
Photo by Danny E. Martindale/Getty Images