Harkening back to its use in the film's first trailer, the soundtrack kicks off with Blue Swede's 1974 hit "Hooked on a Feeling," and the compilation's affinity for tunes from the '60s and '70s doesn't stop there. The cover seems to be cribbed from Quill's personal cassette collection, depicting a tape in a Walkman (what old people used to listen to music with, kids) labeled "Awesome Mix Vol. 1."
The retro selections no doubt have personal meaning for "Guardians" director James Gunn, who shared a photo of the soundtrack cover on his Facebook page with the note that he was "So happy [Marvel] had the balls to go with this simple design." He later posted a picture of an old Sony Walkman, noting that he put a photo of that same model "on the front page of [the 'Guardians'] pitch treatment."
Whether or not the Walkman and/or mixtape plays any significant role in the movie's plot remains to be seen, but it's a nice nod to the rag-tag, rundown feel of the Guardians gang themselves, who in a world of flashier, newer heroes, have to fight to be taken seriously as the saviors they become.
The full tracklist, via The Playlist:
1. Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling
2. Raspberries - Go All the Way
3. Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky
4. David Bowie - Moonage Daydream
5. Elvin Bishop - Fooled Around and Fell in Love
6. 10Cc - I'm Not in Love
7. Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
8. Redbone - Come and Get Your Love
9. The Runaways - Cherry Bomb
10. Rupert Holmes - Escape (the Pina Colada Song)
11. The Five Stairsteps - O-O-H Child
12. Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
The soundtrack hits stores on July 29. "Guardians of the Galaxy" debuts in theaters on August 1.
[via The Playlist, James Gunn]