Beatlemania is sweeping the U.S. once more: Deadline reports that NBC is developing a new series about the Fab Four.
According to the trade, the drama would chronicle the rise of the music superstars, from their early days in Liverpool, England to their current consideration as one of the biggest, most influential bands of all time. The as-yet-untitled project would be an eight episode event series, following in the footsteps of NBC's other attempts at limited, buzzworthy programming, like its live staging on "The Sound of Music" and the miniseries "Rosemary's Baby."
The creative team behind the show is no stranger to British history, though the trio had previously tackled a subject a few hundred years ahead of The Beatles's time. Deadline writes that the series is being shepherded by Michael Hirst, the creator and executive producer of "The Tudors," as well as Ben Silverman and Teri Weinberg, who co-executive produced the Showtime series about King Henry VIII. Hirst will write the Beatles project, while all three will co-executive produce.
There have been only a handful of attempts to tell The Beatles's story before, most likely because the rights to their catalog come with a hefty pricetag, and are not granted lightly. Director Sam Taylor-Johnson's ("Fifty Shades of Grey") first feature, 2009's "Nowhere Boy," focused on the early life of John Lennon, but didn't include Fab Four music. The one project to receive those rights, a biopic about the band's manager, Brian Epstein, titled "The Fifth Beatle," has been in development for some time now, with director Peyton Reed attached.
We'd imagine the success of this new project will depend largely on whether or not it can secure the group's iconic music. Stay tuned for further developments.
[via: Deadline, h/t NME]
- 12 Impossibly Chic French Films That Will Cure Your Cannes Cravings - POPSUGAR
- Loving Zac Efron Does Not Make You a Naughty Mommy - Mom.me
- 9 Things You Definitely Didn't Know About David Letterman - POPSUGAR
- RIHANNA INTRODUCES 'SECRET GARDEN' FULL-LENGTH DIOR SHORT FILM - Wonderwall
- THE ULTIMATE LIST OF 'SURVIVOR' FUN FACTS - Mandatory
- All the Shirtless Chris Evans Movie Moments You Can Handle - POPSUGAR
- 15 Photos of Tom Hardy That May Have Gotten Us Pregnant - Mom.me
- GEORGE CLOONEY: THE FAMILY MAN - Wonderwall
- No One on Game of Thrones Has a Worse Love Life Than Sansa Stark - Popsugar
- WET HOT AMERICAN ACTORS: WHAT'S THE CAST BEEN UP TO THE PAST 15 YEARS? - Mandatory