So when Pitt saw McConaughey -- who was in town filming a segment for CBS's "The Amazing Race" -- from his balcony across a busy New Orleans street, he did what any good neighbor would do: he threw him a brewsky.
In the spirit of that moment of generosity, we've rounded up seven of Pitt's most charitable, admirable, or just plain cool life moments.
1. He wins father of the year for reportedly waking up early every morning to make breakfast for his six kids. C'mon.
2. After Hurricane Katrina, Pitt founded the Make It Right Foundation, an organization committed to building 150 sustainable and affordable houses in New Orleans's Ninth Ward. He also committed $5 million of his own money to the cause. No big deal.
3. Pitt and superstar partner Angelina Jolie have donated millions via their Jolie-Pitt Foundation, giving money to organizations like Doctors Without Borders and Global Action for Children.
4. Pitt learned to fly and has a pilot's license -- because that's what cool people do.
5. When he was with Jennifer Aniston, he reportedly took Greek lessons in honor of her Greek ancestry. And also to make the rest of us look bad.
6. Pitt has been banned from China for his role in "Seven Years in Tibet," which chronicled, in part, the Chinese takeover of Tibet. Who do you know who's been banned from an entire country? Now that's badass.
7. When he's not acting, flying planes, doting over his children, donating millions, or throwing beers to fellow A-listers, he's designing high-concept furniture.
And, of course, this may be the greatest gift he's given to the world:
[via Boomsbeat, Wikipedia]