"Grease" is the word over at Fox: The network just announced that it will air a live version of the hit musical sometime in 2015.
Taking a cue from NBC's successful live staging of "The Sound of Music" in December, Fox revealed Monday that it, too, is jumping into the live musical game, scooping up the production that made John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John household names. In a notable deviation from NBC's choice to adapt the Broadway version of "Music," not the more well-known movie version, Fox will stage the version of "Grease" presented in the hit 1978 film, which includes some songs not found in the 1971 stage production.
"From Broadway to film, and across generations, 'Grease' is one of the most beloved musical stories ever told -- and we can't wait to bring it to our air in a spectacular live event," said Shana C. Waterman, Senior Vice President of Event Series for FOX, in a statement. "Its iconic characters and addictive songs make it the perfect fit for FOX, and we're going to give it the kind of star power and production quality to make every Sandy, Danny, Rizzo and Kenickie out there want to get up and sing along."
Paramount TV president Amy Powell said in a statement that Fox's reputation "for engaging audiences with bold storytelling and live musical format" -- through its hit series like "Glee" and "American Idol" -- made it a great fit for "Grease Live."
The production will air in a three-hour block on the network sometime during the 2015 TV season, and will feature an as-yet-unnamed "young ensemble cast." We're betting Fox will call on past and present performers from the above shows to fill out the "Grease Live" ranks.
In the meantime, we're going to dust off our Pink Lady jackets and practice the "Hand Jive."
- 'Big Hero 6' Directors Reveal Story Behind Wild New Trailer - Moviefone
- GM Almost Screwed Up 'Toy Story,' 'Cars,' & More - AutoBlog
- Colin Farrell, Taylor Kitsch Rumored for 'True Detective' - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Divergent' (Video) - ScreenJunkies
- 25 Best Romantic Comedies Since 'When Harry Met Sally' - Vulture
- 11 Loose Ends on 'True Blood' - POPSUGAR
- 10 Ways 'A Hard Day's Night' Changed the World - Vulture
- 20 Summer Romance Movies to Stream Now - POPSUGAR
- New 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Photos - ScreenCrush
- What We Already Know About 'Star Wars: Episode VII' - POPSUGAR
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!