bryan singer x-men days of future past press tour
Following allegations of sexual assault and abuse, director Bryan Singer has decided to sit out of the upcoming press tour for "X-Men: Days of Future Past."

In a statement released Thursday, Singer said that while he was innocent and the claims against him were false, he did not want to bring negative attention to the film, or become a distraction during its promotion. Therefore, the director said, he was bowing out of all media appearances in support of the production.

Singer's full statement reads:

The allegations against me are outrageous, vicious and completely false. I do not want these fictitious claims to divert ANY attention from X-Men: Days of Future Past. This fantastic film is a labor of love and one of the greatest experiences of my career. So, out of respect to all of the extraordinary contributions from the incredibly talented actors and crew involved, I've decided not to participate in the upcoming media events for the film. However, I promise when this situation is over, the facts will show this to be the sick twisted shake down it is. I want to thank fans, friends and family for all their amazing and overwhelming support.

Last week, Michael Egan filed suit against Singer, accusing the director of plying him with alcohol and drugs and sexually assaulting him in 1999, when he was just 17. Egan later filed suit against three more Hollywood executives, accusing them of operating a sex ring targeting underage males.

Through his representatives, Singer has maintained his innocence since the suit was filed. Thursday's remarks were his first public statement on the subject.

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" is set to open on May 23.

[via TheWrap]

Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images
CATEGORIES Movies