The competition for David Letterman's job is getting tougher.
While Stephen Colbert is the reported frontrunner to take over the "Late Show" hosting gig, TheWrap is reporting that Chelsea Handler has also thrown her hat into the ring, and has been talking with CBS brass about landing her own late-night show on the network -- and possibly succeeding Letterman.
Handler, who revealed last week that she would not be renewing her contract at E! once it expires at the end of this year, was reportedly approached by CBS "to discuss the potential of hosting a syndicated show," according to TheWrap. Handler declined that offer, but continued discussions with the network about the possibility of taking over for "Late Late Show" host Craig Ferguson at 12:30 a.m.; Letterman's retirement announcement last Thursday now has Handler vying for that job instead.
The CBS gig is one of many Handler is considering following her decision to depart E! and end "Chelsea Lately," though along with Colbert, she may also be competing with Ferguson for the job. As for the current "Late Late Show" host, TheWrap reports that Ferguson technically has right of first refusal for the "Late Show" slot, though the network "may not want to give it to him."
We'll see how all this shakes out in the coming weeks and months.
Photo by Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images
- Bet You Didn't Know All These Actresses Have Famous Dads - POPSUGAR
- Famous People Before They Were Famous - Mom.me
- How to Handle Any Life Situation Like Ari Gold — in GIFs - POPSUGAR
- JENELLE EVANS WANTED BY POLICE FOR ALLEGEDLY ATTACKING NATHAN GRIFFITH - Wonderwall
- THE MOST BIZARRE JOB TITLES ON 'THE BACHELOR' AND 'THE BACHELORETTE' - Mandatory
- 30 New and Returning Shows to Watch This Summer - POPSUGAR
- 11 Celebs Who Married Athletes - Mom.me
- EMILIA CLARKE: I TURNED DOWN FIFTY SHADES OF GREY BECAUSE OF 'AMOUNT OF NUDITY' - Wonderwall
- Before Jurassic World, Revisit Why You Loved Chris Pratt in the First Place - Popsugar
- THE 'TOP GUN' CAST: THEN VS. NOW - Mandatory