This weekend, the first superheroes of the summer storm the big screen in Marvel's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," Jude Law stars as a newly released and completely reckless British gangster in "Dom Hemingway," and several critically-acclaimed independent films hit theaters.
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" stars Chris Evans as the patriotic superhero adjusting to his role in modern-day Washington D.C. when he becomes embroiled in a world-threatening conspiracy. Fighting off assassins sent to quiet him, Captain America joins forces with Black Widow to battle Soviet agent the Winter Soldier. The sequel to 2011's "Captain America" features a stellar cast: Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, and Robert Redford.
"Dom Hemingway" stars Jude Law as a notorious (and hilariously profane) safe-cracker. After keeping his mouth shut in prison, Hemingway is back on the streets of London with his partner in crime (Richard E. Grant) looking for financial compensation from his crime boss (Demian Bichir). All the while, Hemingway tries to re-connect with his estranged daughter (Emilia Clarke) and make up for lost time.
Also in theaters this weekend:
- The science-fiction film "Under the Skin" stars Scarlett Johansson as an alien seductress who preys on hitchhikers in Scotland.
- Set in Civil War America, "The Retrieval" follows a 13 year-old boy, who works with a white bounty hunter to survive. After befriending a runaway slave, he must decide to betray this new father figure or runaway with him.
- In "The Unknown Known," former U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld discusses his career from his early days as a congressman to planning the Iraq invasion in 2003. Directed by Errol Morris.
- "Island of Lemurs: Madagascar" is a documentary that follows Dr. Patricia C. Wright's mission to save the highly evolved creatures from extinction on Madagascar.
- "Frankie & Alice" stars Halle Berry as a go-go dancer with multiple personality disorder who works with a psychotherapist (Stellan Skarsgård) to be her true self.
- The comedy "Alan Partridge" stars Steve Coogan as famous radio DJ who must work with police to defuse a hostage situation at his station.
- "Nymphomaniac: Vol. II" is the second part of Lars von Trier's sexually explicit tale that chronicles Joe's adult life and the dark journey that led to her present situation.
- "Afflicted" is a found-footage film that follows best friends as their trip of a lifetime takes a sinister turn when one of them is struck by a mysterious affliction.
CATEGORIES Weekend Movie Preview