The world is waiting to see how director Zack Snyder reinterprets the Alfred character for "Batman vs. Superman," and apparently, so is the actor who will play him.
Jeremy Irons, who was recently cast to play Bruce Wayne's butler in 2016's "Man of Steel" sequel, revealed in a recent interview that the screenplay has yet to be completed. When asked by Absolute Radio how he was planning on playing Alfred, Irons admitted that he wasn't sure.
"I'm gonna be very interested to see [how the character turns out]," Irons said. "The script isn't entirely finished. So it will be as much a surprise for me as you, probably."
That answer isn't entirely unexpected, since "Batman vs. Superman" was recently bumped from its original summer 2015 release date to May 2016 (and head-to-head with a Marvel movie, rumored to be "Captain America 3"). But Irons didn't seem concerned, and said he's been taking some inspiration from the latest actor to play Alfred, Michael Caine. Irons told Absolute Radio that he's "been watching [Caine] closely," but added that Caine is "a bit different than me," perhaps indicating a more gruff take on the loyal butler.
As for the controversy surrounding new Batman Ben Affleck, Irons said that he thought Affleck's casting was "a wonderful idea."
"He's a lovely man, very interesting actor," Irons said. "I'm looking forward to getting to know him."
"Batman vs. Superman" is due out May 6, 2016.
[h/t The Dissolve]
Photo by FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP/Getty Images
- 30 Spooky Movie Couples - POPSUGAR
- 10 Ludicrous Villains That Were Terrible Horror Monsters - HitFix
- Benedict Cumberbatch Will Star in Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' (2014) - ScreenJunkies
- Neil Patrick Harris Will Have a Variety Show - Vulture
- These Actors Were Almost Cast in 'The Hunger Games' - POPSUGAR
- Vulture's Most Valuable Stars of 2014 - Vulture
- 15 Pop-Culture Costumes That Take Very Little Effort - POPSUGAR
- 15 New Details About 'Interstellar' - Vulture
- Best Horror Movies Ever - Rotten Tomatoes