The world is waiting to see how director Zack Snyder reinterprets the Alfred character for "Batman vs. Superman," and apparently, so is the actor who will play him.
Jeremy Irons, who was recently cast to play Bruce Wayne's butler in 2016's "Man of Steel" sequel, revealed in a recent interview that the screenplay has yet to be completed. When asked by Absolute Radio how he was planning on playing Alfred, Irons admitted that he wasn't sure.
"I'm gonna be very interested to see [how the character turns out]," Irons said. "The script isn't entirely finished. So it will be as much a surprise for me as you, probably."
That answer isn't entirely unexpected, since "Batman vs. Superman" was recently bumped from its original summer 2015 release date to May 2016 (and head-to-head with a Marvel movie, rumored to be "Captain America 3"). But Irons didn't seem concerned, and said he's been taking some inspiration from the latest actor to play Alfred, Michael Caine. Irons told Absolute Radio that he's "been watching [Caine] closely," but added that Caine is "a bit different than me," perhaps indicating a more gruff take on the loyal butler.
As for the controversy surrounding new Batman Ben Affleck, Irons said that he thought Affleck's casting was "a wonderful idea."
"He's a lovely man, very interesting actor," Irons said. "I'm looking forward to getting to know him."
"Batman vs. Superman" is due out May 6, 2016.
[h/t The Dissolve]
Photo by FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP/Getty Images
- 29 Times Jennifer Lawrence Was a Badass on the Big Screen - POPSUGAR
- Watch Kristen Stewart in New Trailer (video) - HitFix
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Villains Revealed? - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' (video) - ScreenJunkies
- Everything We Know About 'The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron' - Vulture
- Why 1999 Was the Best VMAs of All Time - POPSUGAR
- David Letterman Remembers Robin Williams - Vulture
- Who's Been in Jimmy Fallon's 'Ew!' Skit? (video) - POPSUGAR
- What Show Deserves the Best Drama Emmy? - Vulture
- 'Friday Night Lights' Star Joins 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!