Director Joe Wright's Peter Pan origin story, "Pan," has found its Tiger Lily: Rooney Mara.
Mara is set to play the character -- a princess of a band of Neverland natives -- alongside the previously-cast Garrett Hedlund and Hugh Jackman, who play a young Captain Hook and the pirate Blackbeard, respectively. "Pan" tells the story of Peter, a London orphan who's brought to Neverland, where he must fight against the evil Blackbeard. He initially befriends Hook, only to have the relationship run afoul.
The film is still looking for someone to play Peter, and studio Warner Bros. has reportedly put out an open casting call for 10- to 12-year-old actors.
Variety reports that "The world being created [in "Pan"] is multi-racial/international," though Mara's casting as Tiger Lily -- a character loosely modeled on a Native American -- has been raising some eyebrows for being just the opposite. The trade goes on to say that Warner Bros. "took on an exhaustive search in finding the right girl to play Lily," and even considered recent Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o for the role before settling on Mara.
Neither Mara nor Warner Bros. have made a statement about the casting yet; we'll have to wait to find out how the actress (known for darker fare, including the title character in "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo") fits into Wright's vision.
Photo by Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images for DIFF
- 12 Impossibly Chic French Films That Will Cure Your Cannes Cravings - POPSUGAR
- Loving Zac Efron Does Not Make You a Naughty Mommy - Mom.me
- What the Mad Men Stars Are Doing Next - POPSUGAR
- LINDSAY LOHAN'S LEGAL WOES - Wonderwall
- 20 MOVIES YOU WON'T BELIEVE ARE 20 YEARS OLD THIS YEAR - Mandatory
- What's The Deal With Grayscale? Let's Investigate - POPSUGAR
- 15 Photos of Tom Hardy That May Have Gotten Us Pregnant - Mom.me
- CELEBS POSTING ABOUT #REDNOSEDAYUSA ON SOCIAL MEDIA - Wonderwall
- The Top 10 Goodbyes to David Letterman - Popsugar
- THE TOP 10 FILMS THAT RUINED THEIR FILM FRANCHISE - Mandatory