Based on the character created by bestselling author Tom Clancy, "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" follows the covert agent as he uncovers a Russian plot to crash the U.S. economy. The latest Jack Ryan adventure traces the agent's beginnings, and stars Chris Pine as the famous spy back when he was just a young CIA analyst. The film also stars Kevin Costner as Ryan's mentor, Keira Knightley as the agent's wife, and Kenneth Branagh -- who also directs -- as the Russian enemy.
"Ride Along" stars Kevin Hart as Ben, a fast-talking security guard, and Ice Cube as James, his cop brother-in-law. In order to determine whether Ben is worthy of marrying his sister, James forces Ben to join him on a 24-hour patrol of Atlanta -- better known as a "ride along." The action-comedy features Tika Sumpter as Angela, James's sister, as well as John Leguizamo and Laurence Fishburne.
"The Nut Job" is an animated adventure that follows a mischievous squirrel, Surly (voiced by Will Arnett), who is banished from his park-based home and forced to make it in a big city. In search of nuts for the winter, Surly and his rat friend plan to pull an outrageous heist of a nut store that will not only save themselves, but everyone in his former community. Brendan Fraser, Liam Neeson, and Katherine Heigl also lend their voices to the movie.
"Devil's Due" follows a newlywed couple dealing with sinister forces brewing inside a young, pregnant newlywed. On their honeymoon, the husband and wife experience a mysterious night that culminates in an earlier-than-planned pregnancy for the bride. Soon, the husband observes his wife acting increasingly bizarre, and demonic forces are seemingly to blame for the behavior.
Also in theaters this weekend:
- "The Life of a King" stars Cuba Gooding Jr. in the true story about an ex-con that provided sanctuary for inner-city kids, using the game of chess as a tool to think before you act.
- In "Back in the Day," an aspiring Hollywood actor returns to Indiana for his high school reunion and tries to relive the glory days with his now-married friends and old sweetheart.
- "G.B.F." finds the newly outed Tanner getting fought over by three high school clique queens all wanting the new hottest accessory: The Gay Best Friend. Meanwhile, Tanner must decide between popularity or his true friends.
- "Freezer" stars Dylan McDermott as a New York City mechanic locked inside a restaurant freezer, with death and escape his only options.
- "Big Bad Wolves" follows three men on a collision course: the father of the latest victim, a vigilante police detective, and the main suspect in the murders. Quentin Tarantino named it the best film of the year.
- "Reasonable Doubt" stars Dominic Cooper as the District Attorney out to stop Clinton Davis (Samuel L. Jackson), a guilty man he mistakenly freed following a fatal hit-and-run.