Robert Redford has spent decades as one of the Hollywood golden boys, a fella with an all-American face who broke hearts in romances like "The Way We Were" and thrilled us in dramas like "All the President's Men." He's the founder of the Sundance Film Festival and an outspoken advocate for environmentalism. And at the age of 77, plenty of folks think he's still one sexy dude.
That's not quite how Redford sees it, though, as he told the New York Times, "I don't see myself as beautiful. I was a kid who was freckle-faced, and they used to call me 'hay head."
Being a sex symbol got pretty tiring after a while, too. Redford, whose handsome face is front and center for almost all of his new film "All Is Lost," added, "It got harder and harder [to be a sex symbol], and then it got exhausting... And I guess the nice thing about getting older is that you don't have that quite so much anymore. I never had a problem with my face on screen. I thought it is what it is, and I was turned off by actors and actresses that tried to keep themselves young."
Redford's face -- and the rest of him -- took quite a beating during the filming of "Lost," including an ear infection that damaged his hearing. Writer/director J. C. Chandor said, "The face at this point is a story in itself. That face is a thing of beauty but in a different way." He also verified that Redford's hair remained that startling color throughout filming (naturally).
"All Is Lost" opens in New York and Los Angeles on October 18, and opens nationwide on October 25.
- The Cast of 'Hocus Pocus': Then & Now - POPSUGAR
- 16 Things We Learned From Dave Chappelle's GQ Interview - HitFix
- 10 Failed TV Shows From Successful Showrunners - Rotten Tomatoes
- Honest Trailer: 'Maleficent' - ScreenJunkies
- Make Your Own Aaron Sorkin Monologue - Vulture
- Why Thanksgiving Is Just Like 'The Hunger Games' - POPSUGAR
- The 13 Best 'Assembling the Team' Movies - Vulture
- The Best Movie Kisses of 2014 - POPSUGAR
- Ranking 11 Movie Bosses From Amazing to Horrible - POPSUGAR
- Watch the Star-Lord Dance-Off in This 'Guardians' Outtake - ScreenCrush