Contrary to some wildly speculative rumors floating around the galaxy, J.J. Abrams is not stepping down from his job helming the new "Star Wars" movie.
The rumors that Abrams would be leaving the project -- due to a reported disagreement with producers over shooting "Episode VII" in England, and away from his family -- became so persistent in recent days that Lucasfilm was forced to make a statement on the matter, which the studio issued Monday.
"There is no truth to the rumor," the statement said. "J.J. is having a great time working on the script and is looking forward to going into production next year."
Even before Lucasfilm's denial, it was hard to believe that the director would abandon the project. After all, Abrams is an avowed fan of the "Star Wars" franchise -- a fact that was brought up over and over again when he took on the rival "Star Trek" series -- and shooting "Episode VII" is no doubt a dream come true. We're glad these silly rumors have finally been laid to rest.
Abrams's few public statements about the movie so far also indicate he's thrilled to be part of the "Star Wars" franchise.
"We are working on some incredibly exciting stuff," Abrams said an interview with Hero Complex earlier this year. "It is very strange to be discussing this world and not just with friends of mine at a party being idiot geeks but to be discussing it with other storytellers and filmmakers, some of whom actually worked on the originals. [Creative consultant] Larry Kasdan is involved, to be working with [producer] Kathy Kennedy, since before I got in the business [that] is something I was hoping I would get to do."
"Star Wars: Episode VII" is due in theaters summer 2015.
[via L.A. Times]