Audiences have warmed up to "The Heat," with the Melissa McCarthy-Sandra Bullock buddy cop comedy hauling in $40 million on its opening weekend. So it makes sense, then, that director Paul Feig would already be at work on a sequel.
"We've got ['The Heat' screenwriter] Katie Dippold writing away on one," Feig told Yahoo! Movies. "We had an idea that we thought was really fun. ... I just love these characters so much. I want to see them fighting more crime and having more fun."
Considering the film's surprise smash success at the box office, it looks like audiences want to see more of Mullins and Ashburn, too. And that success could also work out for another project Feig had been developing, called "Dumb Jock," which was to star McCarthy and "Bridesmaids" co-star Jon Hamm.
"I'm writing with them in mind," Feig said in a 2011 interview with Movieline, "and it's just a love story that I've always wanted to write, that I think will be really funny, but will play much more real than most quote-unquote romantic comedies."
However, the project never got off the ground: Feig revealed in a recent interview with Grantland that while "the studio loved it ... Jon and Melissa didn't want to do it."
"It's one of my favorite things I've ever written," he said. "Maybe we'll relaunch it. I love funny Hamm."
We do, too. Our fingers are crossed.
[via Yahoo! Movies, HuffPost]
Around The Web:
- 16 Reasons You Should Take Pride in Being a Miranda - POPSUGAR
- Celeb Parents Look Hot in Towels, Too - Mom.me
- The Outrageous, Bloody, True Story of Lizzie Borden - POPSUGAR
- The Next Ice Bucket Challenge? Find Out Why These Celebrities Are Biting Into Limes - College Candy
- 10 ‘Mad Men’ Facts to Advertise Your Sterling Trivia Knowledge - ScreenCrush
- 21 Reasons You Never Stop Rooting For Arya Stark - POPSUGAR
- 8 Reasons Not to Try the #KylieJennerChallenge - Mom.me
- ‘Daredevil’ Star Charlie Cox Talks Season 2, Black Widow, Bullseye and The Punisher Read More: 'Daredevil' Star Charlie Cox Talks MCU Crossover in Season 2 - Screen Crush
- Everything We Know About the Full House Reboot - Popsugar
- Montage of Heck and the Impossible Kurt Cobain - Vulture