Audiences have warmed up to "The Heat," with the Melissa McCarthy-Sandra Bullock buddy cop comedy hauling in $40 million on its opening weekend. So it makes sense, then, that director Paul Feig would already be at work on a sequel.
"We've got ['The Heat' screenwriter] Katie Dippold writing away on one," Feig told Yahoo! Movies. "We had an idea that we thought was really fun. ... I just love these characters so much. I want to see them fighting more crime and having more fun."
Considering the film's surprise smash success at the box office, it looks like audiences want to see more of Mullins and Ashburn, too. And that success could also work out for another project Feig had been developing, called "Dumb Jock," which was to star McCarthy and "Bridesmaids" co-star Jon Hamm.
"I'm writing with them in mind," Feig said in a 2011 interview with Movieline, "and it's just a love story that I've always wanted to write, that I think will be really funny, but will play much more real than most quote-unquote romantic comedies."
However, the project never got off the ground: Feig revealed in a recent interview with Grantland that while "the studio loved it ... Jon and Melissa didn't want to do it."
"It's one of my favorite things I've ever written," he said. "Maybe we'll relaunch it. I love funny Hamm."
We do, too. Our fingers are crossed.
[via Yahoo! Movies, HuffPost]
Around The Web:
- 21 Great HBO Shows of the Past to Binge On This Summer - POPSUGAR
- Celebrity Wedding Photos - Mom.me
- We Crown Jon Snow the Saddest, Sexiest Guy in the Seven Kingdoms - POPSUGAR
- CHRISSY TEIGEN'S DRESS TRIPS UP AUDIENCE MEMBER AT BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS - Wonderwall
- THE 20 UGLIEST CELEBRITY CRY FACES - Mandatory
- Is Meryl Streep the Greatest Movie Mother? - POPSUGAR
- 10 Superhero Celebrity Moms - Mom.me
- 'KEEPING UP WITH THE KARDASHIANS: ABOUT BRUCE' SPECIAL: 8 SURPRISING REVELATIONS FROM PART ONE - Wonderwall
- 42 Times the Pitch Perfect Cast Brought Their Aca-Awesomeness to Instagram - Popsugar
- KYLIE JENNER FIGHTS BACK AT BODY SHAMERS: 'YES, I GAINED WEIGHT' - Mandatory