Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock are each pretty amazing on their own. So just imagine how great a movie starring both of them as cops hunting down an evil drug lord will be!
"The Heat," out this week, promises plenty of laughs with a team like Bullock and McCarthy at the helm. Bullock has demonstrated her comedic chops in flicks like "Miss Congeniality" and "The Proposal," while McCarthy is consistently hilarious in almost everything she does, from "Bridesmaids" to "Identity Thief." The Heat's premise -- a seasoned FBI pro being paired up with a rough-around-the-edges local cop -- is hardly groundbreaking. But the fact that both cops are ladies is, strangely enough, in this day and age.
Female buddy movies are rare, and female buddy cop movies are unheard of. We see plenty of dude cops bonding in everything from "Lethal Weapon" to "48 Hours" to "Rush Hour" to "End of Watch." Yet no ladies -- on the big screen anyway. If "The Heat" does well at the box office, that just might change. I have faith that McCarthy and Bullock can draw big enough crowds to pave the way for more flicks with two women co-headlining. When that day comes, here are the top five projects I'd love to see:
1. Mindy Kaling and Casey Wilson as two ditzy beat cops who joined the force to meet hot guys. The duo spends more time primping and shopping than actually catching bad guys, but they accidentally thwart a jewelry store heist while they're cruising the mall. The bad guys try to get revenge, but the two ditzy cops are blessed with "Naked Gun"-style dumb luck that helps them unwittingly sidestep each attack.
2. Amy Poehler and Tina Fey as elite special agents from Washington, D.C., who are sent to small-town Texas to work on a large-scale drug bust. While they both clash with the local law enforcement officials at first, one (Fey) loosens up and embraces the local culture. The other one (Poehler) remains uptight and looks down her nose at the locals, which puts a strain on their working relationship. This is a buddy movie, though, so they work it out in the end and wind up becoming closer than ever before!
3. Isla Fisher and Aubrey Plaza as undercover cops trying to bust up a high school bling ring at a ritzy prep school in Beverly Hills. The cop (played by Fisher) gets wrapped up in the high school lifestyle as she infiltrates the "bling ring." Meanwhile, Plaza's character, who was a bullied nerd in her own high school days, gets revenge on the mean girls with "Mean Girls"-inspired shenanigans (like feeding them protein bars that cause weight gain!)
4. Wendi McLendon-Covey and Kristen Wiig as two department store clerks who hate each other at first, but band together to get revenge on their tyrant boss, played by Bette Midler. One clerk (McLendon-Covey) is a loud, obnoxious maneater, while the other (Wiig) is a mousey, neurotic bookworm.
5. Sofia Vergara and Jane Lynch as an FBI agent (Lynch) and a pampered mob wife with a philandering husband (Vergara). Lynch's character recruits Vergara as an informant, which the latter goes along with to get revenge on her cheating spouse. The two opposites become unlikely friends, and Lynch's character gives Vergara's the strength to leave her husband. Much to her chagrin, though, Vergara's character just latches on to another rich guy, and becomes a trophy wife yet again.
"The Heat" opens in theatres on June 28.
(You guys have any better ideas? Let us know below!)