The classic works of Shakespeare have been adapted to the screen since the early days of cinema, ranging from authentic retellings to nearly unrecognizable interpretations to versions that stay true to the source with innovative modernizations. Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing," which hits theaters on June 7, is something of the latter -- a contemporary update of the Bard's comedy starring a cast from commercial television, yet with the original Shakespearean dialogue intact.
While Whedon's "Much Ado" is clearly a Shakespeare adaptation, there are plenty of movies that we may not have known were based on the writer's classic plays. From Disney favorites to rom-coms to award winners, Shakespeare has inspired nearly every genre with stories that have given way to a variety of interpretations.
Think you know a Shakespeare story when it's revamped for the screen? Take a look at the movies that have been teaching you classic literature all along.
Photo Credit: Alamy
Around The Web:
- The Many Adorable Faces of Prince George - POPSUGAR
- 4 Reasons I Admire Women With Multiple Baby Daddies - Mom.me
- Go Behind the Scenes of Kendall Jenner's Sexy GQ Photo Shoot - POPSUGAR
- Anna Kendrick Vs. John Krasinski – Who Won The Lip Sync Battle? [VIDEOS] - College Candy
- Full ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Trailer Leaks Online - ScreenCrush
- Ansel Elgort's Date Night With His Girlfriend Will Only Make You Love Him Even More - POPSUGAR
- 10 Hot Reasons Moms Should See 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' - Mom.me
- Watch the New ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Trailer! Read More: The New ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Trailer Has Arrived! - Screen Junkies
- Tatiana Maslany Talks Orphan Black, Clone Origin Stories, and Sarah and Felix’s Incredible Loft - Vulture
- Sarah Jessica Parker Is Returning to HBO and Fictional New York City - Vulture