The classic works of Shakespeare have been adapted to the screen since the early days of cinema, ranging from authentic retellings to nearly unrecognizable interpretations to versions that stay true to the source with innovative modernizations. Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing," which hits theaters on June 7, is something of the latter -- a contemporary update of the Bard's comedy starring a cast from commercial television, yet with the original Shakespearean dialogue intact.
While Whedon's "Much Ado" is clearly a Shakespeare adaptation, there are plenty of movies that we may not have known were based on the writer's classic plays. From Disney favorites to rom-coms to award winners, Shakespeare has inspired nearly every genre with stories that have given way to a variety of interpretations.
Think you know a Shakespeare story when it's revamped for the screen? Take a look at the movies that have been teaching you classic literature all along.
Photo Credit: Alamy
Around The Web:
- 20 Disney GIFs That Accurately Describe Your Adult Life - POPSUGAR
- Chris Pratt May Be the New Indiana Jones - Vulture
- Celebrities Who Look Like Disney Princesses - POPSUGAR
- Honest Trailer: 'The Maze Runner' - ScreenJunkies
- The Complete History of Comic-Book Movies: 'Batman' - ScreenCrush
- The All-Female 'Ghostbusters' Cast Is Perfect - POPSUGAR
- 11 TV Shows From 2014 to Binge Watch Right Now - Rotten Tomatoes
- Emma Watson Will Star as Belle in Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' - POPSUGAR
- 5 Things From 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Trailer - Vulture
- Photos of 'The Muppets' on 'The Empire Strikes Back' Set - ScreenCrush