CATEGORIES Movie NewsWhile your Yuletide festivities may be at an end, the spirit of Christmas is alive and well at the cinema this year.
Unsurprisingly, Tom Hooper's epic musical "Les Miserables" came out on top. According to Deadline, the Hugh Jackman-lead film raked up $18 million on Christmas Day. The film has already surpassed the previous heavy weight, 2009's "Sherlock Holmes," in advanced ticket sales.
Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" took the number two spot. The spaghetti Western, which stars Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio and Jamie Foxx, brought in an impressive $15.5 million. The Bronze medal goes to Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," which, made over $10 million; just last week, the film was leading the box office.
The comedy "Parental Guidance," starring Billy Crystal and Bette Midler as hilariously-out-of-touch grandparents, came in fourth, grossing $7 million.
Below is the estimated Christmas box office results. We'll update when the official ones are announced. Happy Holidays!
1. Les Miserables (Working Title/Universal) NEW [Runs 2,808] Christmas Day $18.0M
2. Django Unchained (Sony/Weinstein) NEW [Runs 3,010] Christmas Day $15.5M
3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (MGM/WB) Week 2 [Runs 4,100] Christmas Day $10.8M, Cume $167.9M
4. Parental Guidance (Chernin/Fox) NEW [Runs 3,358] Christmas Day $7.0M
5. Jack Reacher (Skydance/Paramount) Week 1 [Runs 3,352] Christmas Day $5.1M, Cume $22.9M
6. This Is 40 (Universal) Week 1 [Runs 2,913] Christmas Day $4.3M, Cume $17.3M
7. Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 7 [Runs 1,966] Christmas Day $2.4M, Cume $120.3M
8. The Guilt Trip (Skydance.Paramount) Week 1 [Runs 2,431] Christmas Day $2.3M, Cume $10.9M
9. Monsters Inc 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 1 [Runs 2,618] Christmas Day $1.2M, Cume $8.3M