Back in 2005, George Lucas and Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker) sat down for an early edition of Moviefone's Unscripted. (The video was done for the promotion of "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.") Their taped discussion is perhaps one of the most awkward "Jedi"-related videos in existence. Whereas the prequels came across as straight up awful, this video is so awful it's good.
For your enjoyment, the full video has been posted above. Below are the seven most awkward moments from their discussion.
1. Hayden reading off the teleprompter. (0:27)
2. When George asks Hayden whether Darth Vader wears briefs or shorts. (Uh, we think you mean boxers, George.) Somehow, the answer is more cringe-worthy than the actual question (1:15)
3. Why did George Lucas not start the franchise with Episode I? "I don't like beginnings." Well, that explains a lot about the prequels. (2:19)
4. How did Hayden feel to be edited into the end of "Return of the Jedi"? -- "I got a real kick out of it" (7:25)
5. Lucas's (really) awful explanation of why he edited Hayden into the end of "Return of the Jedi." "It was added in because it's a way of finishing off the entire series. The idea was that your inner person would go back to where we left it off, when it turned to the dark side -- when you got burned up and everything. But before you got burned up, so when you come back to the good side of the force, it's your former persona that survies, not the Darth Vader persona." (7:50)
6. "Well, I look forward to it." -- Hayden trying to sound interested in George Lucas's next project. (9:21)
7. Hayden admitted he was sick of being asked how he would deal with typecasting after the "Star Wars" prequels. Luckily, Lucas has some words of advice: "Just say I am going to spend the rest of my life making blockbuster movies and billions of dollars. Somebody's got to do it [Laughs]" (10:05)