It's Friday the 13th. There's a horror movie in theaters about partying teenagers being hunted down in the woods. This isn't just a set of (un)lucky coincidences, this is a cosmic alignment of the fates, telling us to celebrate the majesty and wonder of Jason Voorhees.
The hulking, hockey-masked killer of depraved camp counselors is a bad guy, a film star and a pop culture icon; with sequels, reboots, spin-offs, video games, comic books and action figures who would be foolish enough to deny the awesomeness of the machete-wielding maniac?
We here at Moviefone know to bow down and show the monster some respect. But just how much do we love Jason Voorhees and "Friday the 13th"? Let us count the ways....
1. "Cabin in the Woods" continues the tradition of ridiculous woods-based horror movies and adds "clever storytelling," "good performances," and "genuine wit" to the formula.
2. Jason's been to space. Has Freddy ever been to space?
3. Crispin Glover was in a "Friday the 13th" movie. And he did this dance:
5. By taking Manhattan, Jason gets one step closer to a crossover with the Muppets.
6. Producers titled the fourth installment "Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter" … then had the audacity to make another seven movies.
7. They then called the ninth movie "The Final Friday" … and made three more movies after that.
8. Jason once punched a boxer's head off. With one punch. (Video: NSFW)
9. Have you watched the opening credits to "Friday the 13th: 3D"? That theremin plus the "coming at you!" gimmick equals the cheesiest 90 seconds of movies ever.
10. The "Friday the 13th" series gave Corey Feldman the opportunity to go all Brando on us.
11. No matter how bad a "Friday the 13th" movie gets, it's not the worst movie ever made about bad luck.
12. He's terrifying, even in 16-bit.
13. Without "Friday the 13th," we never would have been witness to this music video from Alice Cooper: