It looks like George Clooney has found his next directorial project -- and it might be the biggest of his career. Speaking with TheWrap at the Palm Springs Film Festival over the weekend, Clooney confirmed that he would tackle "Monuments Men" next -- a film about the recovery of art stolen by the Nazis in World War II.
"I'm excited about it," Clooney said to TheWrap on Saturday. "It's a fun move because it could be big entertainment. It's a big budget, you can't do it small -- it's landing in Normandy."
Based on the Robert M. Edsel book "The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History," the project would follow a team of art experts who hunt the lost artifacts. (Like "Ocean's 11" in World War II?) In addition to starring and directing, Clooney will co-write "Monuments Men" with his long-time producing partner Grant Heslov.
Clooney, who previously directed "The Ides of March," "Leatherheads," "Good Night, and Good Luck," and "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind," said this could be his most commercial film yet...but with a twist.
"Im not opposed to doing a commercial film, I'm just opposed to doing a commercial film that doesn't feel organic to me," he said. "So if we're going to do a commercial film we thought, 'Let's do something that seems fun and actually have something to say.'"
Start the Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon casting rumors...now.
Follow Moviefone on Twitter
Like Moviefone on Facebook