Today on indieWIRE, Peter Knegt offered his latest Oscars commentary; Eugene Hernandez talked Telluride; we talked finances, the stock market woes and the summer box office receipts, and, of course, Eddie Murphy!
- Andrea Arnold's 'Wuthering Heights' Premieres in Venice to Wildly Mixed Responses: Andrea Arnold, the director of 'Fish Tank' and 'Red Road,' turned heads when it was announced she would tackle a large-scale adaptation of Emily Brontë's 'Wuthering Heights.'
- Eddie Murphy to Host 84th Academy Awards: It's official. Oscar-nominee Eddie Murphy will host this year's Academy Awards show on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012.
- For Your Consideration: Updating Oscar Contenders in the Eye of the Storm: In the past seven days or so, there have probably been more developments in the awards race than will be seen during any period this year. Except for maybe the next seven days.
- Five Films to Watch From Telluride: There's a camaraderie that makes the Telluride Film Festival like few others you'll ever attend. Sitting alone at a picnic table while taking in a beautiful Colorado landscape the other morning, I was approached by Jon Busch. The Telluride tech director was looking for a place to eat his colorful plate of brunch. Within minutes we were having a terrific chat about the history of the festival.
- The Star of 'Knuckle' and Tim League Will Step Into the Ring at the Fantastic Fest Debates: Our call: Fantastic Fest co-founder Tim League should be afraid.
- 2012 Oscar Predictions: The 2011-12 awards season is slowly falling upon us and indieWIRE will be updating this chart of predictions for the 84th Academy Award nominations on a regular basis between now and late January, when the nominations are announced.
- Here's 4 Reasons the Stock Market Won't Hurt, Could Help Indie Film: It sounds like the start of an indie film producer's worst nightmare: The U.S. stock market drops 4.3 percent in August.
- iW's Project of the Day: An Unlikely Friendship in 'Nate & Margaret': Here's iW's daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.
- Small Screens: A 9/11 Widow Talks 'Rebirth,' Our DVD Pick of the Week": Shortly after opening in select theaters last month (it hits more markets throughout September), Jim Whitaker's documentary portrait of emotional and physical rebuilding following 9/11, 'Rebirth,' hits DVD today. It's iW's pick of the week.
- Summer Indie Box Office Report: From Woody to Werner, the Top 10 Grossing Films: Over in Hollywood, it was a pretty hit-and-miss summer.
CATEGORIES 'Fone Finds