CATEGORIES 'Fone Finds
Today on indieWIRE, we spoke with French star Ludivine Sagnier about her thriller 'Love Crime,' we told you the 10 things that this fall's upcoming festivals can tell us about award season, and much more.
- For Your Consideration: 10 Things the Fall Fests Can Tell Us About Award Season: The Venice Film Festival begins Wednesday and that's as good as a starting gun: It means the awards season is here.
- INTERVIEW: Ludivine Sagnier on Impersonating the Late Alain Corneau in "'Love Crime': In the late Alain Corneau's final film, 'Love Crime,' French star Ludivine Sagnier plays a driven ingenue at a multinational who engages in a deadly battle with her ruthless mentor, played by Kristen Scott Thomas. Think of it as a Gallic mash-up of 'Working Girl' and 'Fatal Attraction,' with a twist to rival the best potboilers.
- Critic's Notebook | How the West Memphis 3 Release Transformed The 'Paradise Lost' Documentaries: When the trio of Arkansas men convicted of crimes they may not have committed 18 years ago suddenly found themselves free on Aug. 19, a significant chapter in the saga of the West Memphis 3 came to a dramatic close. However, for viewers familiar with their struggles, the story had already ended twice before.
- INTERVIEW | Joann Sfar on Serge Gainsbourg: "You have to understand what he sings.": Cartoonist Joann Sfar's name may not mean much in the U.S., but in France he's nearly as revered as the pop icon at the center of his directorial debut. 'Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life' delivers a playful, stylized rendition of French musician Serge Gainsbourg's wild and sultry adventures.
- Pedro Almodóvar to Serve as AFI Fest's Guest Artistic Director: For its 25th anniversary, the American Film Institute has announced that Pedro Almodóvar will serve as the Guest Artistic Director of AFI FEST.
- Watch: See Cannes Breakout Stephanie Sigman in 'Miss Bala' Trailer: One of indieWIRE's top picks out of the Cannes Film Festival was 'Miss Bala,' a Mexican thriller that features a breakout performance from newcomer Stephanie Sigman. Get a taste for what all the fuss is about by checking out the new trailer for the film, courtesy of 20th Century Fox, who release the film on Oct. 14 in New York.
- 2012 Oscar Predictions: The 2011-12 awards season is slowly falling upon us and indieWIRE will be updating a chart of predictions for the 84th Academy Award nominations on a regular basis between now and late January, when the nominations are announced. Each week a chart update will be supplemented by a weekly awards-related column, which will often work to provide context for the list.
- 'Hunger Games' Teaser: Thrilling or Disappointing?: Reaction has been tepid to this 'Hunger Games' teaser, introduced on video by a low-key Jennifer Lawrence at the Video Music Awards Sunday night, which reaches the film's teen demo.
- Josh Brolin Signs On for Spike Lee's 'Oldboy' Remake: It looks like Spike Lee has got the man he wanted for his gestating 'Oldboy' remake.
- With More Mainstream Acceptance, Is Queer Cinema in Trouble?: Anthony Kaufman wonders whether the lack of political urgency among today's filmmakers living in the age of Obama, rather than the infuriating Reagan-Bush 1980s, has hindered the boldness and fury that has often driven strong cinema. Read his ReelPolitik.