CATEGORIES 'Fone Finds
Today at indieWIRE, our critic offers his glowing take on the Sundance doc 'Page One: A Year Inside the New York Times,' Harvey Weinstein gets cozy with Madge's directorial follow-up, and lauded doc filmmakers Morgan Spurlock and Albert Maysles offer up some advice for aspiring filmmakers.
- Turning his cameras to the inner circle of editorial decision-making at the proverbial paper of record, Andrew Rossi delves into the lively debates about old-new media tensions within the context of the reportorial focus of the New York Times' media desk, which was launched in 2008. The result is a cogent, provocative portrait of the intellectual process behind conventional newsmaking and the forces opposed to it. iW reviews the Sundance doc coming out Friday.
- Documentary funnyman (and Academy Award nominee) Morgan Spurlock dolled out advice to a packed house of documentary filmmakers over the weekend at the Sheffield Doc/Fest. Check out his secrets on how to make it in the business.
- At 84, veteran documentary filmmaker Albert Maysles ('Grey Gardens,' 'Gimme Shelter') has lost none of his spark. At the Sheffield Doc/Fest, which wrapped this weekend, Maysles accepted the inaugural Lifetime Achievement Award. Highlights here.
- The Weinstein Company has announced that it has acquired U.S. rights to Madonna's 'W.E.' The film -- rumored to be heading to the Venice Film Festival at the end of the summer -- spans six decades, juxtaposing a contemporary love story with that of King Edward VIII and American divorcée Wallis Simpson. More here.
- The Seattle International Film Festival completed its 37th year with an awards ceremony at the Space Needle, where it announced the Competition and Golden Space Needle Audience Awards. Get the winners here.