CATEGORIES 'Fone Finds
Today on indieWIRE: 'The Room' finally finds an audience, Europe names its 10 "filmmakers to watch for," 'Human Centipede II' fights for its rights & more.
- Tommy Wiseau's 'The Room' has evolved from critical disaster to cult phenomenon, complete with interactive midnight screenings. Wiseau talked with indieWIRE about developing a devoted following: "We violated the fire marshal code. Meaning that there were too many people showing up for the film."
- The Seattle International Film Festival 's new Fly Filmmaking Challenge initially might seem like a bad idea, but indieWIRE found the pros of the program. Click here to read more about the new initiative, which gives filmmakers the funds to create a movie in three days.
- The list of filmmakers to be featured at the upcoming Karlovy Vary Film Festival in "Variety's Ten Euro Directors to Watch" was released today. indieWIRE reported on the list, which was put together by the trade's international critics.
- The four projects that made this week's in-production column included 'Bump and Run,' from writer Stephen Schaller and French director Patrick Alessandrin. Also featured was a Kickstarter project about a Banksy art piece/shelter, the new Patrik-Ian Polk feature and an animated film centering on cicada royalty.
- 'Human Centipede II' continued to generate controversy with the announcement from its U.K. distributor, Eureka Entertainment, that it will appeal the British Board of Film Classification's denial of a classification certificate. Will Eureka Entertainment succeed? Follow this link to read indieWIRE's assessment of the situation.
- Somehow feeling that his plate is not quite full enough, James Franco will team up with video/performance artist Kalup Linzy to release an EP called 'Turn It Up.' The Playlist posted a video of one of the album's tracks, which will surely entertain in one form or another.