CATEGORIES Movie NewsTwo people have been hospitalized after suffering burns on the set of 'The Hobbit' in New Zealand. The incident occurred Tuesday morning, the film's publicist, Ceris Price, told The Sydney Morning Herald.
Price said that the incident happened at a production workshop when "a couple of the guys" were drilling on a statue and suffered "mild burns but nothing serious." Calling the accident an explosion was a "slight overstatement," she added.
One of the workers suffered "burnt nostril hairs." Price explained, "Apparently if that's the case, there is always the risk of inhalation so they get checked out."
Production on 'The Hobbit' has been dealt a series of setbacks: A labor dispute caused a months-long delay, director Peter Jackson underwent emergency surgery for a stomach ulcer earlier this year, and one of the actors playing a dwarf had to be replaced after leaving for "personal reasons."
'Pan's Labyrinth' helmer Guillermo Del Toro had been set to direct, but delays forced him to drop out, enabling Jackson to return for the prequel to his Oscar-winning franchise.