Today on indieWIRE a number of Tribeca films got graded, Elvis Mitchell got skewered, Lady Gaga opened up, and more.
- indieWIRE caught a slew of films at the 10th Tribeca Film Festival over the weekend. 'Bombay Beach' earned the highest grade from Eric Kohn, who gave the film an A, and dubbed it "not unlike [Terry] Gilliam's oeuvre -- both dreamlike and intimately familiar."
- 'Grave Encounters' ended up on Kohn's chopping block with a C. " 'Grave Encounters' lacks the imagination that could have injected it with more intrigue," he wrote of the horror entry.
- indieWIRE's Peter Knegt caught two documentaries detailing the lives of two American icons: Renée Richards and Carol Channing.
- Film critic Caryn James opted for the romantic drama, 'Last Night,' starring Keira Knightley and Sam Worthington. "From its long delay in getting here, you'd expect the 2009 Keira Knightley romantic drama, 'Last Night,' to be a disaster, but not at all," wrote James. "It's merely small and slight, the kind of blithe little relationship film that feels more European than American."
- As the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival approaches its mid-way point, the festival's audience award tracker has Lee Hirsch's doc 'The Bully Project' leading the pack thus far, followed by three more docs: Michael Collins' 'Give Up Tomorrow,' Tony Hardmon and Rachel Libert's 'Semper Fi: Always Faithful,' and Dori Berinstein's 'Carol Channing: Larger Than Life.'
- When news hit that film critic Elvis Mitchell had been let go by Movieline, Anne Thompson over at Thompson on Hollywood! took the opportunity to knock him down a few pegs (to put it mildly). Eric Kohn came to Mitchell's defense (sort of) in his latest blog post.
- The Playlist reported on the opening night of the 54th Annual San Francisco International Film Festival, where Mike Mills' dry romantic dramedy 'Beginners' kicked things off. Click here to read the quote-heavy dispatch.
- "Watch Lady Gaga Be Whiny, Repetitive and Horribly Annoying In Her New HBO Special," reads the headline in The Lost Boy's latest blog post. You've been warned ...