Today on indieWIRE: Coverage of Tribeca's Opening Night, a review of 'The Union,' a first look at 'The Tree of Life' dinosaur, and more.
- The 10th Annual Tribeca Film Festival kicked off last night with an open-air screening of Cameron Crowe's documentary 'The Union' and performances by the Bangles and Elton John. Was the event successful? indieWIRE took a look at the strengths and weaknesses of opening night.
- In this week's in-production column, indieWIRE took a look at 'Buddy Holly Is Alive and Well on Ganymede,' the adaptation of a sci-fi comic novel starring Jon Heder. Also profiled are four more Kickstarter projects.
- In today's business news, Snag Films acquired domestic VOD and digital rights to director Iara Lee's 'Cultures of Resistance.' indieWIRE reported on the details of the deal, including the key figures and full press release.
- The anticipation continues to mount over the upcoming release of Terrence Malick's 'The Tree of Life.' Today's hullabaloo concerns the first still of that much-discussed dinosaur. The Playlist offered a peek at the creature.
- SXSW favorite 'Attack the Block' has released a trailer. Click here to check out Joe Cornish's alien-invasion comedy.
- Following the tragic news yesterday of the untimely deaths of photojournalist Tim Hetherington and photographer Chris Hondros in Libya, Thompson on Hollywood put together a tribute to their work. Included in the obituary are clips from Hetherington's 'Restrepo,' several of the duo's photographs and statements regarding their passing.