'The Hunger Games' has found its two male leads. Josh Hutcherson, who's been campaigning for the role, will play teen combatant Peeta, while Liam Hemsworth was previously only penciled in as a possibility for Gale.
Lionsgate announced today in a release that Hutcherson ('The Kids Are All Right') and Hemsworth ('The Last Song') are confirmed for the roles in the hot new trilogy based on Suzanne Collins' best-selling book series.
They join Oscar-nominated Jennifer Lawrence, who'll play heroine Katniss Everdeen in the epic about a post-apocalyptic future in which one boy and one girl must fight to the death in an annual televised event called The Hunger Games.
Other names tossed around for these key male roles including rising stars Alex Pettyfer, Logan Lerman, Adam Butcher, Hunter Parrish, Lukas Till, Alexander Ludwig, Evan Peters and David Henrie.
Gary Ross ('Seabiscuit,' 'Pleasantville') will direct the film, which is scheduled for a March 23, 2012 release date.
[Via Entertainment Weekly]
- 'Big Hero 6' Directors Reveal Story Behind Wild New Trailer - Moviefone
- GM Almost Screwed Up 'Toy Story,' 'Cars,' & More - AutoBlog
- Colin Farrell, Taylor Kitsch Rumored for 'True Detective' - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Divergent' (Video) - ScreenJunkies
- 25 Best Romantic Comedies Since 'When Harry Met Sally' - Vulture
- 11 Loose Ends on 'True Blood' - POPSUGAR
- 10 Ways 'A Hard Day's Night' Changed the World - Vulture
- 20 Summer Romance Movies to Stream Now - POPSUGAR
- New 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Photos - ScreenCrush
- What We Already Know About 'Star Wars: Episode VII' - POPSUGAR
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!