Gregory McDonald's powerfully popular 'Fletch' series spawned a pair of well-regarded Chevy Chase comedies back in the '80s, and it looks like the popular character is poised to make a return. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. and production company Anonymous Content plan to go back to the books and deliver a comedic adventure movie (franchise?) that's a little bit bigger than a Chevy Chase vehicle:
"No writer or director is on board, but Warners and the producers are aiming for a reimagining, not a remake, and hope to make an smart action comedy that plays out on a bigger canvas than the previous movies," says THR. Maybe a 'Bourne'-style flick with less amnesia and more investigative journalism, perhaps.
Starting in 1974, the late Mr. McDonald penned 11 books with titles like "Fletch Won," "Fletch Two," "Fletch's Fortune," and (the final book) "Fletch Reflected," which was published in 1994. Not too long ago, Kevin Smith seemed fairly close to mounting a new rendition of the character, but his colorful plan, which included Jason Lee as the reporter, fell apart.
- 'Big Hero 6' Directors Reveal Story Behind Wild New Trailer - Moviefone
- Jacki Weaver Talks Woody Allen, 'Magic in the Moonlight' - UInterview
- The Official 'Hateful Eight' Poster Is Here - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Divergent' (Video) - ScreenJunkies
- Iggy Azalea Will Be in 'Fast & Furious 7' - Vulture
- Who Should Be The Next Bachelor? - POPSUGAR
- James Gunn on Directing 'Guardians of the Galaxy' - Vulture
- 20 Summer Romance Movies to Stream Now - POPSUGAR
- The Movie That Made Robert De Niro Bankable - Vulture
- See All the Pictures From 'Mockingjay - Part 1' - POPSUGAR
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!