Chances are you'll be watching 'A Christmas Story' at least once over the next few days. Ever since TBS started airing 24 hours of the film beginning Christmas Eve through Christmas Day, it's become a tradition in many households to keep their televisions tuned in to Ralphie's X-mas-related trials and tribulations for hours upon hours on end.
As such, there's a good chance a few questions may pop up while the film is playing in the background, attempting to drown out Uncle Eddie's post-Christmas dinner snoring. We'll be taking the next couple of days to answer some of those questions for you, this way when your little cousin Bobby turns and asks whether you can really go blind from soap poisoning, you'll be waiting with a smile and the correct answer.
'A Christmas Story' Myth #2: Can You Really Go Blind from Soap Poisoning?
Short Answer: No
Longer Answer: In the film, Ralphie gets punished for cursing in front of his father. His punishment: A bar of soap in his "dirty" mouth. Ralphie then envisions how one day, when he goes blind from soap poisoning, his parents would realize how awful they were ... and they'd regret it. [Watch the scene here]
Of course it was just a fantasy and never happened, but surely you must be just a little curious as to whether one can actually go blind from soap poisoning, right?
Chances are if you put soap in your mouth, or even swallow some, that nothing bad will happen. Most soaps are considered harmless, but if enough is ingested you may suffer from vomiting and diarrhea. If you do wind up swallowing soap, then drink water or milk immediately unless you begin to have some of the symptoms mentioned above. If that's the case, then consult a physician. (info via MedicinePlus)
There is something called Automatic Dish Washer Soap Poisoning, and one can get this swallowing soap used in automatic dishwashers, or by having their face and/or eyes come in contact with automatic dish washer soap. According to Drugs.com, the symptoms do include vision loss (if your face or eyes come in contact, not if you swallow it). If the soap does get in your eyes or on your face, then wash it off immediately with water for about 15 minutes.
So no, you cannot go blind from soap poisoning. Sorry Ralphie.
'Christmas Story' Myths: Can You Really Get Your Tongue Stuck to a Flagpole?