Below are two recipes from Executive Chef John Bullington for the Harry Potter-themed "Butterbeer" and 'A Christmas Story's' "Chinese Five Spice Duck with Plum Ginger Sauce."
Gallon Apple Cider
1 cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup Heavy Cream
Tsp Kosher Salt
¼ lb Butter
2 each Cinnamon Sticks
1 each Nutmeg, Whole
TBS Allspice Berries
1. In a large pot combine the cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg with the apple cider
2. Heat to a simmer and let it simmer for 20 minutes
3. While waiting for the cider to simmer, heat the butter and brown sugar together in a smaller pot
4. When the butter/sugar mix becomes fluid-like, losing its graininess add the cream and salt until well
5. Strain the spices from the hot cider and whip the butterscotch into the hot cider.
6. Fill a glass half way with hot, not hotter than 160F (so as not to burn off the alcohol) butterbeer and fill it the rest of the way with alcoholic sparkling apple cider for the adults or non alcoholic for the kids, top with whipped cream
The feast for 'A Christmas Story' includes:
Champagne-butter poached shrimp atop mixed baby field greens tossed in a roast onion vinaigrette.
Acorn squash soup finished with oloroso sherry and fried sage.
Five spice brined and roasted duck breast with a dark soy-plum glaze, mashed potatoes and ginger baby bok choy
Fudge with gran marnier anglaise and fresh fruit
"Chinese Five Spice Duck with Plum Ginger Sauce."
2 cups Plum sauce, canned
¼ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
¼ cup Soy Sauce
1/3 cup Ginger, Minced
1/3 cup Garlic, Minced
6 each Green Onion, Thinly Sliced
Combine all well in a bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours, reheat for service with duck.
8 Duck Breasts, 6-7 Oz
2 tbs Kosher Salt
1 tbs Chinese 5 Spice
1 tbs Brown Sugar
1. In a pot heat the water, kosher salt, sugar, and chinese 5 spice to a boil
2. Let simmer for 5 minutes then remove to cool and you have made brine.
3. Pour the cool brine over the duck breast and refrigerate for 6 hours
4. Remove the duck from the brine and pat dry with a towel.
5. Sear the duck in a very hot pan until the fat side is crispy and golden brown.
6. Flip and sear the other side quickly.
7. You can do this ahead of time or go straight to the next step.
8. 15 minutes before they are to be served run the ducks through a 475F impinger oven for 4 1/2
9. Cover and allow the duck breast to rest for 5 minutes.
Serve with warm ginger plum sauce, steamed veggies and your favorite mashed potatoes.