CATEGORIES Animation, Drama, Foreign Language, Music & Musicals, Casting, Mystery & Suspense, Distribution, Movie Marketing, Remakes and Sequels, Cinematical Indie, Trailers and Clips, Trailers and Clips, Movie News, Cinematical
- These little girls wearing dresses inspired by R2-D2 and C-3PO to Star Wars Celebration V are precious. But this pic from Geekologie would be even better if the tots were being escorted by Kristen Wiig in her Darth Vader gown.
- Maggie Gyllenhaal will star with real-life husband Peter Sarsgaard in the Bill Monroe biopic Blue Moon of Kentucky, for which she'll also be reunited with the musical genius of Crazy Heart Oscar-winner T-Bone Burnett. She will portray bass player Bessie Lee Maudlin, whose tumultuous relationship with Monroe Gyllenhaal describes as "Sid and Nancy style affair." Does that mean she somehow caused him to have a stroke and die at the young age of 84?
- As if Antichrist on Criterion disc isn't enough to get Lars von Trier fans excited, the filmmaker's unfinished, abandoned, was-to-be-30-years-in-the-making project Dimension will be released next week as part of a compilation DVD included in an issue of the Danish magazine Ekko. Also on it will be short films by Aki Kaurismaki and Thomas Vinterberg.
- But can he narrate? The Wire's Idris Elba is taking over the role of James Patterson's Dr. Alex Cross character, portrayed previously in two films by Morgan Freeman (Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider) for a reboot of the murder mystery franchise. His installment will be based on the book Cross, and David Twohy (Pitch Black) is directing from a Kerry Williamson-penned script he'll rewrite.
- Animator Jeffrey Varab, who worked on such beloved classics as The Fox and the Hound, Mulan and, uh, Rock-A-Doodle has been arrested in Florida on charges of fraud. The fact that you've likely never heard of his most recent effort, Tugger: The Jeep 4x4 Who Wanted to Fly, seems to be a factor. But as in any case, he's innocent until proven guilty, plus he's claiming there's a plot against him.
- Is the poster for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader a total rip-off of the poster for Avatar?
- The trailer for Fair Game is so talky and boring that all I could think about while watching it was tonight's episode of Top Chef, which had that exact same overhead shot of the entrance to the CIA headquarters. I already know Sean Penn and Naomi Watts can act. When do we get to see them disguise a familiar food in an attempt to try and fool Leon Panetta?