CATEGORIES Action, Drama, Horror, Thrillers, Mystery & Suspense, The Weinstein Co., Quentin Tarantino, Home Entertainment, Features, CinematicalRemember Grindhouse, that two-part film directed by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino released three years ago? It was accompanied by several faux trailers before and between the two films, Rodriguez's Planet Terror and Tarantino's DeathProof. Grindhouse failed to attract sufficient moviegoers at the box-office to merit a special edition DVD/Blu-Ray release, so fans were forced to buy the films separately, or wait until the day when the Weinstein Company or whoever picked up the rights to their catalog would re-release Grindhouse on DVD/Blu-Ray as Rodriguez and Tarantino intended. Well, that day, October 5th, is almost here and Vivendi Home Entertainment, the Weinstein Company's home-video partner, has let us in on what we can expect from the DVD/Blu-Ray release.
In addition to Planet Terror, Rodriguez's gleefully sleazy, zombie-horror exploitation flick, and Tarantino's talk-heavy serial-killer-drives-a-car flick, Death Proof, different films in terms of tone, style, and intention, but both equally worthy of repeat viewings, Grindhouse featured several faux, horror-themed trailers, including Edgar Wright's (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead), "Don't," a trailer inspired by Hammer Studios/Amicus' horror output from the late 1960s-early 1970s, "Thanksgiving," a slasher homage directed by Eli Roth (Hostel I and II), Machete, a 'Mexploitation' trailer directed by Rodriguez (the feature-length film hits theaters September 3rd), and a negligible effort by Rob Zombie (Halloween I and II, House of 1,000 Corpses), "Werewolf Women of the SS" (not necessarily in that order).
Join us after the jump for the full breakdown of the DVD/Blu-Ray release:
Disc 1 - Theatrical Exhibition:
- Grindhouse Feature (Planet Terror)
- Intermission Cards
- "Don't" Trailer
- "Werewolf Women of the SS" Trailer
- "Thanksgiving" Trailer
- * Grindhouse Feature (Death Proof)
- Robert Rodriguez's "10-Minute Film School"
- The Badass Babes of Planet Terror
- The Guys of Planet Terror
- Casting Rebel
- Sickos, Bullets, And Explosions: The Stunts of Planet Terror
- The Friend, The Doctor, and the Real Estate Agent
- Planet Terror Poster Gallery
- Stunts On Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof
- Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke
- The Guys of Death Proof
- Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike
- Finding Quentin's Gals
- The Uncut Version of "Baby, It's You," performed by Mary Elizabeth Winstead
- Introducing Zoe Bell
- Double Dare Trailer
- Death Proof Extended Music
- Death Proof Poster Gallery
- Robert Rodriguez's "10-Minute Cooking School"
- The Makeup Effects of Planet Terror
- The Hot Rods of Death Proof
- From Texas to Tennessee: The Production Design of Death Proof
- Extended "Werewolf Women of The SS" Trailer
- View Extended Cut Of "Werewolf Women of the SS" Trailer with Commentary by Director Rob Zombie
- The Making Of "Werewolf Women of the SS" Trailer
- Extended "Don't" Trailer
- View Extended Cut Of "Don't" Trailer with Commentary by Director Edgar Wright
- The Making of "Don't" Trailer
- "Don't" Storyboard/Trailer Comparison
- View "Don't" Storyboard/Trailer Comparison with Commentary by Director Edgar Wright
- "Don't" Storyboards Still Gallery
- "Don't" Poster
- The Making of "Thanksgiving" Trailer
- New York Times Talk with Quention Tarantino and Lynn Hirschberg at Comic Con 2006 Featuring the Directors and Cast of Grindhouse
- Grindhouse Trailer Contest Winner "Hobo With A Shotgun"
So what do you think? Will you pre-order the Grindhouse DVD/Blu-Ray? Or do you prefer to wait until a definitive edition containing the theatrical and extended versions of both films are released sometime in the distant future?
[A tip of the baseball cap to Slashfilm]