CATEGORIES Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Casting, Universal, RumorMonger, Fandom, Exhibition, Home Entertainment, Movie Marketing, Comic/Superhero/Geek, Remakes and Sequels, Features, Movie News, Cinematical
- Can Amanda Seyfried personify both Little Red Riding Hood and Cinderella? She's been cast as the former for a while, and now she's rumored to be starring in a live-action version of the latter for Disney, based on the studio's animated classic. The redo comes via screenwriter Aline Brosh McKenna (The Devil Wears Prada) and will likely be in 3D with plenty of CGI mice and birds. Bippidy-Boppidy-Boo-Hoo. [via The Playlist]
- Maybe love will turn me around, but I'm having trouble accepting Kevin James in the Kenny Rogers role for Fox's Six Pack remake. Pajiba reports that he's been offered the part, leading me to assume racing star Brewster Baker will no longer be the kind of ladies man he was back in '82. Also, now at the helm, replacing David Gordon Green, is Marmaduke's Tom Dey. I guess I just hope the eventual redo of The Beniker Gang will make amends.
- Another redo: Universal wants Timur Bekmambetov to produce an English-language remake of the recent Russian flying car movie Black Lightning, which he describes as "a Slavic Transformers meets Batman." Bekmambetov is also prepping a sequel to the original. Next up, though, he's producing the alien-invasion thriller The Darkest Hour. Still no definite directorial plans yet, apparently.
- If you regularly complain about the lack of original movies and you've never seen Timecrimes, you don't have the right to say anything. Anyway, that film's director, Nacho Vigalondo, is moving from time machines to alien invasions. I think those are the only two types of sci-fi stories there are, right? The Spanish-language film will be titled Extraterrestre and begins shooting next month.
- Admittedly, I haven't read nor seen the original film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but if the character of Lisbeth Salander is supposed to scare the crap out of me, South African singer/rapper Yo-Landi Vi$$er of the group Die Antwoord is perfect for the part. She's more likely just David Fincher's reference point, though, rather than his actual casting choice.
- I've been a regular viewer of the series Party Down since the beginning, despite the fact I think it's very overrated. Now that it's been prematurely canceled, I'm going to jump off a non-existent springboard and predict this will be the new Arrested Development, I mean in terms of fans clamoring for a movie spin-off. Plot idea: the gang caters the premiere for "the Apatow movie."
- No way anyone, especially from Texas, complained that the Paranormal Activity 2 teaser is too frightening, and no way Cinemark pulled it from theaters without scheming with Paramount first.
- I haven't seen latest installment of The Twilight Saga yet, but if it's anything like the route I wound up on while playing the 8-bit Eclipse interactive YouTube game, it ends with Victoria killing Jacob and then Bella. Choose your own adventure below: