CATEGORIES Classics, Documentary, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Awards, Paramount, Universal, Remakes and Sequels, Awards, Cinematical
- Unfortunately, Erik was incorrect in his guess that a recent casting notice looking for Midwestern teens was for J.J. Abrams' Super 8. The Playlist learned from Production Weekly that it's really just a call sheet for Bad Robot's remake of Little Darlings. Booooo. Well, hey, maybe they're actually the same movie and this time around the girls bet on who can be the first to lose their alien virginity. New title: Little Earth Darlings Are Easy.
- Oh and if you didn't expect a lot of people to go all skeptic regarding the above debunkery and chime in with, "or is it... ," then you're new to the Internet. So hello, and welcome! (and thanks for coming to Cinematical first.)
- First it was Selena Gomez cast in an inverse remake called What Boys Want. Now Gong Li is reportedly set to star in a Chinese remake of the Mel Gibson classic What Women Want. She'll take on the Helen Hunt role while Andy Lau (Infernal Affairs) gets to try on pantyhose and read the minds of females. This time, though, a male is also directing: actor Daming Chen, who may be best known in the states for appearing alongside Chris Farley in Beverly Hills Ninja.
- Spike Lee is shooting footage of the damage in Haiti, according to Anne Thompson, for the sequel to his HBO documentary When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts. When asked how the director will relate the more recent tragedy to Hurricane Katrina, producer Jon Kilik said, " You'll get it when you see it." But in case it's not obvious enough already, Thompson has dug up a quote from Lee that explains the connection: "Like in New Orleans, the people of Haiti are worried that once the glare of the worldwide media is gone that they will be left behind."
- Thompson also live-Tweeted from Tuesday night's Women in Film's Crystal + Lucy Awards, which honored Zoe Saldana, Lisa Cholodenko, Eva Marie Saint, Courtney Cox and Universal co-chairperson Donna Langley.
- Did you really think they'd remake Logan's Run and not have people floating off the screen in 3D during the Carousel scene?
- Would you believe Christina Hendricks stars in a sci-fi remake of Boxing Helena? Well, almost.
- Would it really be surprising if Sir Ben Kingsley (Bloodrayne) wanted to be cast in a Michael Bay movie? Even if that movie was Transformers 3? And even if he wanted to fill Megan Fox's slot? Here's "Gandhi" spoofing the Heidi Montag audition video on a recent episode of Lopez Tonight:
And just in case you didn't see the original, here it is, for a comparison: