As some of our readers may know (or none; we really ought to give you the benefit of the doubt), today is April 20th, and with 4/20 (or even just 4:20; we really don't think you're all that patient) being an almost universally recognized symbol for pot usage, we -- along with every other movie site around -- have decided to list some of our most dearly beloved pot movies.
Oddly enough, though, most of our picks had something to do with cooking or gardening. Enjoy!
1. Ratatouille (2007) -- A rat in a kitchen? What a positively absurd concept! And yet when Linguini (voiced by Lou Romano) first comes across little Remy (voiced by Patton Oswalt) throwing some soup together in a giant pot (pictured), they put aside their differences and find that they make one exceptional cooking team. Tres-mendous!
2. Annie Hall (1977) -- Okay, this one's not about cooking, but there's a famous and funny scene where Diane Keaton and Woody Allen's characters can't seem to keep the lobsters they intend to eat in the pot. In fact, they run rampant across the kitchen floor, giving these New York neurotics a good fright! (And as it turns out, it's really their relationship that's cooked in the end. So it is about cooking! Metaphorically anyway!) (Actually, no. I think they literally cooked those lobsters.)
3. Little Shop of Horrors (1986) -- Like Woody Allen above, Seymour (Rick Moranis) is just another nerdy New Yorker trying to juggle his relationships... with both a woman (Ellen Greene) and a man-eating plant (pictured with pot). Boy, I hate it when that happens! Don't you hate it when that happens? Then you should check out this forum I'm on, just for people like me and you... Oh, you were kidding.
4. The Professional (1994) -- More Manhattan shenanigans as a mysterious hitman (Jean Reno) tries to care for both a young orphan (Natalie Portman) and a Japanese peace lily (which is what Hot Fuzz says it is, so we'll just roll with it). Will a coked-out cop (Gary Oldman) ruin his friendship with the flora? I don't want to give anything away... but yeah, pretty much. Worse yet, the plant runs off with that little Portman tramp. What nerve!
5. Smiley Face (2007) -- A young woman (Anna Faris) gets seriously stoned off some cupcakes that happen to have marijuana in them. What? I had to put some picture above the jump...