2009 is almost over, and it's been a banner year for science fiction. More than three dozen science fiction themed films have seen release in the US. Some emphasize the science fiction more than others, and a couple may be more occult/horror than actual science fiction, but they're close enough.
While the quality of the films listed below varies wildly, the fact that science fiction elements are featured in so many wide released films is outstanding, and there are at least three critical and box office hits among the list below. At least three of the movies listed below give me hope that smart science fiction films are still viable.
I can't help thinking I'm missing something. I didn't include TimeCrimes because it came out on DVD. What else should be on this list?
Battle for Terra
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
The Fourth Kind
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Land of the Lost
Men Who Stare at Goats
Monsters vs. Aliens 3D
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
TV and straight-to-DVD, or otherwise extremely limited theatrical release include: The Mutant Chronicles, Dante 01, Eden Log, Before the Fall, Sleep Dealer, The Objective, and Outlander.
What was your favorite?
- The Cast of 'Hocus Pocus': Then & Now - POPSUGAR
- 16 Things We Learned From Dave Chappelle's GQ Interview - HitFix
- 10 Failed TV Shows From Successful Showrunners - Rotten Tomatoes
- Honest Trailer: 'Maleficent' - ScreenJunkies
- Make Your Own Aaron Sorkin Monologue - Vulture
- Why Thanksgiving Is Just Like 'The Hunger Games' - POPSUGAR
- The 13 Best 'Assembling the Team' Movies - Vulture
- White Elephant Gifts For the Pop Culture Fan - POPSUGAR
- Ranking 11 Movie Bosses From Amazing to Horrible - POPSUGAR
- Watch the Star-Lord Dance-Off in This 'Guardians' Outtake - ScreenCrush