2009 is almost over, and it's been a banner year for science fiction. More than three dozen science fiction themed films have seen release in the US. Some emphasize the science fiction more than others, and a couple may be more occult/horror than actual science fiction, but they're close enough.
While the quality of the films listed below varies wildly, the fact that science fiction elements are featured in so many wide released films is outstanding, and there are at least three critical and box office hits among the list below. At least three of the movies listed below give me hope that smart science fiction films are still viable.
I can't help thinking I'm missing something. I didn't include TimeCrimes because it came out on DVD. What else should be on this list?
Battle for Terra
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
The Fourth Kind
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Land of the Lost
Men Who Stare at Goats
Monsters vs. Aliens 3D
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
TV and straight-to-DVD, or otherwise extremely limited theatrical release include: The Mutant Chronicles, Dante 01, Eden Log, Before the Fall, Sleep Dealer, The Objective, and Outlander.
What was your favorite?
- Where to See Oscar Winners and Nominees Next - Pop Sugar
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play Hitman in 'Blood On Snow' - ScreenJunkies
- Actors Who Won Oscars For Playing Real People - Buzz Sugar
- 15 Must-See Time Travel Movies - RottenTomatoes
- 'Zorro' To Get Gritty Reboot - ScreenCrush
- New 'Matrix' Trilogy in the Works - ScreenCrush
- Wes Anderson Animated 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' - Vulture
- Outkast's Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix (Video) - HitFix
- Honest Trailers: '300' (Video) - ScreenJunkies
- 'Veronica Mars' Character Breakdown - Buzz Sugar