2009 is almost over, and it's been a banner year for science fiction. More than three dozen science fiction themed films have seen release in the US. Some emphasize the science fiction more than others, and a couple may be more occult/horror than actual science fiction, but they're close enough.
While the quality of the films listed below varies wildly, the fact that science fiction elements are featured in so many wide released films is outstanding, and there are at least three critical and box office hits among the list below. At least three of the movies listed below give me hope that smart science fiction films are still viable.
I can't help thinking I'm missing something. I didn't include TimeCrimes because it came out on DVD. What else should be on this list?
Battle for Terra
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
The Fourth Kind
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Land of the Lost
Men Who Stare at Goats
Monsters vs. Aliens 3D
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
TV and straight-to-DVD, or otherwise extremely limited theatrical release include: The Mutant Chronicles, Dante 01, Eden Log, Before the Fall, Sleep Dealer, The Objective, and Outlander.
What was your favorite?
- Cinderella's Dazzling Pictures Will Take Your Breath Away - POPSUGAR
- Netflix and Judd Apatow Are Making a New Pee-wee Herman Movie - Vulture
- Lady Gaga's 'Sound of Music' Tribute Made the Oscars Worth Watching - POPSUGAR
- Honest Trailers: 'Dumb and Dumber To' - ScreenJunkies
- 11 'This Is Spinal Tap' Facts - ScreenCrush
- Christina Aguilera's Britney Spears Impression Is Perfect - POPSUGAR
- Behind-the-Scenes Oscar-Party Timeline - Vulture
- 40 Books Becoming Movies in 2015 - POPSUGAR
- The Best 'Parks and Recreation' Drinking Moments - Vulture
- Here's an Amazing Dark and Gritty 'Power Rangers' Reboot - ScreenCrush