The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Nicolas Cage plays a wizard who sets out to train a young man in the mystical arts. Looks to be quite the special effects extravaganza and I have to say the score is really sticking with me. The magic begins July 16.
Death at a Funeral
Chris Rock leads a mostly African-American cast in this remake of the 2007 British comedy. The original had some good ideas but the humor was too dry for my taste, and this trailer has me wondering if they may have surpassed the original. Also of note is that Peter Dinklage reprises his role from the 2007 version as the man who has a dirty little secret involving the deceased. The mourning starts on April 16.
Russell Crowe plays a police detective keeping a close eye on a young man recently released from prison where he served his time for murdering a girl. Things are complicated when the killer finds that he's got a groupie. Looks like a decent little indie thriller. No U.S. release info yet.
Renee Zellweger plays a social worker who takes in a young girl (Jodelle Ferland playing the wide-eyed innocent with a sinister edge like she did in Silent Hill) believed to have been abused by her parents. The supernatural shenanigans that follow, however, suggest it might not have been her folks that were causing her harm. Looks pretty creepy. The screaming starts on January 1.
New this week on AOL Moviefone:
- A Single Man - Colin Firth and Julianne Moore star in a film about a professor's loss of his long time partner.
- Nine - Trailer No. 2 - Film based on the Tony award-winning musical inspired by Federico Fellini's 8 1/2.
- La Danse - Documentary examining the inner workings of The Paris Opera Ballet .
- Staten Island - Ethan Hawke directs and stars in this film about the intersecting lives of three New Yorkers.
- Until the Light Takes Us - Documentary about the Norwegian underground heavy metal scene of the 1990s
- Remember Me - Twilight's Robert Pattinson stars as an angry young man in this romantic drama.
- Youth in Revolt - Trailer No. 2 - Michael Cera stars as a nerdy teen who invents an alternate personality for himself
- Greenberg - Ben Stiller stars in this indie comedy about a man who deals with his mid-life crisis by doing nothing.
- A Town Called Panic - Surreal stop-motion animated film about the adventures of a toy cowboy, indian and horse.
- Wonderful World - Matthew Broderick stars as the world's most pessimistic man.
- Season of the Witch - Set in medieval times Nicolas Cage stars as a knight charged with ridding the land of a devious witch believed to be responsible for the black death.
- Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief - Trailer No. 2 - A teenage boy learns he is descended from the gods of Olympus and must protect himself from a variety of mythological monstrosities.
- Babies - Looks at the lives of four babies over the course of a year in four different spots around the world.