They're hit and miss, but I always try and catch any new digital short from Saturday Night Live. * Pop / country singer Taylor Swift hosted last night's show, and the 19-year-old star really surprised me, and I'm sure a lot of other people who don't necessarily follow young pop / country singers. Her song during the opening monologue (pictured) got in digs at her ex-boyfriend, made clear her feelings on Kanye West and his MTV Video Music Awards disruption, and commented amusingly on her supposed romance with Taylor Lautner, one of the stars of the upcoming The Twilight Saga: New Moon.
That was followed up by Firelight, the SNL parody of the first Twilight flick, with Swift taking on Kristen Stewart's role of Bella Swan, complete with hair fixing, downward-cast eyes, and lip-biting. The new boy who catches her eye at school is not, however, pasty-skinned Edward Cullen but green-skinned Phillip Frank of the Frank clan. The short captures the key moments from the first film, provides a different excuse for the "good / bad boy" not to kiss the "good / good" girl, and includes a cameo from a very concerned mummy. All in all, a solid little short.
I thought Swift was pretty hilarious throughout the show. I'm not sure if that's because of lowered expectations on my part or because of better than average writing from the staff, but, in any event, Swift displayed a flair for comedy. Check out the video to get a taste.
Watch 'Firelight' after the jump!
- Bet You Didn't Know All These Actresses Have Famous Dads - POPSUGAR
- Famous People Before They Were Famous - Mom.me
- How to Handle Any Life Situation Like Ari Gold — in GIFs - POPSUGAR
- JENELLE EVANS WANTED BY POLICE FOR ALLEGEDLY ATTACKING NATHAN GRIFFITH - Wonderwall
- THE MOST BIZARRE JOB TITLES ON 'THE BACHELOR' AND 'THE BACHELORETTE' - Mandatory
- 30 New and Returning Shows to Watch This Summer - POPSUGAR
- 11 Celebs Who Married Athletes - Mom.me
- EMILIA CLARKE: I TURNED DOWN FIFTY SHADES OF GREY BECAUSE OF 'AMOUNT OF NUDITY' - Wonderwall
- Before Jurassic World, Revisit Why You Loved Chris Pratt in the First Place - Popsugar
- THE 'TOP GUN' CAST: THEN VS. NOW - Mandatory