They're hit and miss, but I always try and catch any new digital short from Saturday Night Live. * Pop / country singer Taylor Swift hosted last night's show, and the 19-year-old star really surprised me, and I'm sure a lot of other people who don't necessarily follow young pop / country singers. Her song during the opening monologue (pictured) got in digs at her ex-boyfriend, made clear her feelings on Kanye West and his MTV Video Music Awards disruption, and commented amusingly on her supposed romance with Taylor Lautner, one of the stars of the upcoming The Twilight Saga: New Moon.
That was followed up by Firelight, the SNL parody of the first Twilight flick, with Swift taking on Kristen Stewart's role of Bella Swan, complete with hair fixing, downward-cast eyes, and lip-biting. The new boy who catches her eye at school is not, however, pasty-skinned Edward Cullen but green-skinned Phillip Frank of the Frank clan. The short captures the key moments from the first film, provides a different excuse for the "good / bad boy" not to kiss the "good / good" girl, and includes a cameo from a very concerned mummy. All in all, a solid little short.
I thought Swift was pretty hilarious throughout the show. I'm not sure if that's because of lowered expectations on my part or because of better than average writing from the staff, but, in any event, Swift displayed a flair for comedy. Check out the video to get a taste.
Watch 'Firelight' after the jump!
- The Best Movie Couples of 2014 - POPSUGAR
- Is This the Greatest Best Actor Class Ever? - HitFix
- Christian Bale Is Our Least Relatable Movie Star - Vulture
- Honest Trailer: 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' - ScreenJunkies
- 10 Moments in 'The Interview' That Would've Upset North Korea - Vulture
- 10 Holiday Movies to Stream on Netflix - POPSUGAR
- 12 Actors You Forgot Were Child Stars - POPSUGAR
- Ben Stiller's 10 Best Movies - Rotten Tomatoes
- Here Are the 'Star Wars: Episode VII' Character Names - POPSUGAR
- The Worst Movies of 2014 - ScreenCrush