Michael Jackson's This Is It
This documentary is built from interviews, rehearsals and backstage footage of Michael Jackson shortly before his death as he was preparing for his upcoming tour. I wasn't a fan of his music, but I'm sure the many who were will flock to this when it releases on October 28.
May the Best Man Win
Comedy in which two men compete for the honor of being best man at their other friend's wedding. Shot in faux documentary style and with a superficial resemblance to the plot of I Love You Man, this looks modestly entertaining at best. We'll find out for sure on September 9.
Yet another shaky cam pseudo reality horror flick, this time concerning a family moving into a home that appears to be occupied by a demonic force of some kind. Speaking as someone who enjoys a good creep out, this one looks REALLY good. It goes into limited release on September 25.
Van Diemen's Land
Based on the true story of Alexander Pearce, who along with several fellow inmates escaped from an Australian penal colony in 1822 and set off into the harsh wilderness with no supplies to speak of. This one opens on September 24.
A New York City police detective wants to solve her father's murder by figuring out a connection with a mysterious religious order called (not too cleverly) The Ministers. The murder mystery with a religious angle seems to be trying to cash in on The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. Watch for this one on October 16.
New This Week on AOL Moviefone:
- Motherhood - Trailer No. 1
- Surrogates - Second trailer for the science fiction actioner starring Bruce Willis.
- Rashevski's Tango - A jewish family experiences introspection after their 81 year old family matriarch dies.
- Antichrist - A couple retreats to their cabin in the woods following the death of their child where even greater horrors await them.
- Disney's A Christmas Carol - 3D animated feature version of the classic Dickens tale starring Jim Carrey.
- Takers - A group of bank robbers repeatedly thwart the police.
- Black Dynamite - Action packed homage to the blaxploitation films of the 1970s.
- Afterschool - A boy attending a prep school accidently video tapes the brutal deaths of two of his classmates.
- The Maid - A maid working for a Chilean family must comes to terms with her relationship with her employers.