With the fall TV season approaching, it's almost time to say goodbye to some of our favorite (and least favorite) summer sci-fi shows. There are only four more episodes of Eureka's third season left, and the first season of Warehouse 13 will be over in less than six weeks. Defying Gravity will wrap its first season in less than a month (if ABC doesn't cancel it due to low ratings first), and Being Human only has two more episodes scheduled to air on BBC America. Over on HBO, True Blood is sprinting to the finish of season two with only three episodes left, but the cable network has already given the green light to season four.
The fall will bring some slightly darker sci-fi fare with the premiere of ABC's Flash Forward in September, the mid-season launch of the V redo, and the premiere of the final season of Lost in 2010. Dollhouse and Fringe will return to Fox for their second seasons in September, and the network will launch the comic book adaptation Human Target in 2010. Syfy's new season starts in October with the two-hour premiere of Stargate Universe. Look for Caprica, the Battlestar Galactica prequel series, to hit the air January 22 on Syfy. Oh, I almost forgot ... Heroes comes back to NBC on Sept. 21.
We'll have more about these new and returning fall shows starting next week. Now lets get to this week's picks and previews.
- Warehouse 13, "Implosion" – Pete and Myka track down a mystical samurai sword that someone plans to give to the president. Now, if only this show could take a cue from The Middleman and actually be as wacky as it sounds, then I might be more excited about its chances for another season. The awesome Roger Rees guest stars. (Tuesday, 9 p.m. EST on Syfy.)
- Eureka, "Shower the People" – Tess Fontana's life is in danger as Sheriff Carter tries to solve the death of a scientist who mysteriously drowned. And some goofy stuff happens at Allison's baby shower (when is she gonna have that kid, already?) Sadly, new cast member Jamie Ray Newman will probably leave the show after this season to star in ABC's Eastwick. (Friday, 9 p.m. on Syfy.)
- Being Human, "Episode Five" – Mitchell is pushed back into the vampire fold and he tries to recruit humans to become vamps. Annie tries to avenge Owen with George's help. (Saturday, 9 p.m. on BBC America.)
- True Blood, "New World in My View" – Bon Temps is headed straight for hell as Bill finds that confronting Maryann is tougher than it looks while Sookie tries to comfort a desperate Tara and Jason tries to rescue Sam. (Sunday, 9 p.m. on HBO.)
- Defying Gravity, "Rubicon" – The Antares reaches the point of no return, and the crew has to deal with the fact that they might never see Earth again. (Sunday, 10 p.m. on ABC.)