CATEGORIES Features, Movie News, News/Reactions, Blog Roundup, Discussion Posts, 'Fone Finds, Sci-Fi
Welcome to Captain's Log -- your (semi) daily round-up of sci-fi randomness from around the web. Here's what's happening today:
- Make fun all you want, but I'm a big fan of the Gary Ross film Pleasantville. So I'm happy to hear that Ross, who is also working on The Creature from the Black Lagoon, is re-writing Spider-Man 4 for Sam Raimi. Of course, the script has reportedly been re-worked more times than we'd like to admit. Hopefully Spidey 4 won't end up playing like three or four different movies shoehorned into one.
- More superhero movie news: EW tells us that Cameron Diaz is in talks to play the female lead, opposite Seth Rogen, in The Green Hornet.
- The recent premiere of Syfy's Warehouse 13 drew more viewers than the Battlestar Galactica finale. Check out our review of the premiere.
More sci-fi awesomeness after the jump.
- Why does the new DVD cover for the excellent '80s vampire flick Near Dark make the film look like a Twilight knock-off? Oh, right. Money.
-Firefly's Alan Tudyk and Reaper's Tyler Labine, two of my favorite geek-friendly TV stars, will co-star in the indie horror comedy Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil.
- Egon Spengler himself, Harold Ramis, says Ghostbusters 3 will keep things low tech. (He also calls the last Indiana Jones movie "a disaster.")
- Check out FEARnet's guide to deep space horror, featuring clips from movies like Planet of the Vampires and Galaxy of Terror.
- Topless Robot has up a pretty hilarious list of the 10 most horrible deaths by women in Star Trek. Strangest (and most embarrassing) death has to go to Lt. Van Mayter from The Next Generation episode In Theory: Death by disappearing (and then reappearing) floor.
- And finally ... Here's an interview with H.R. Giger, the creature designer from Ridley Scott's classic Alien. "Ridley didn't want to show the actors the creatures until just before they filmed their scenes. That resulted in some great reactions," he tells Time Out New York.