Despite my fondness for a fellow in a sharp suit and fedora, it's the women characters that have me hooked. I'm not talking about the femme fatales who hook our private dick, and then triple cross him. I'm fascinated by the secretaries, taxi drivers, and witnesses that pepper these stories. They're always there in the nick of time, or possessing some vital bit of information that cracks the case. They're impeccably dressed, well-informed, hard drinking, and they never encounter Spade or Marlowe without trading a few sarcastic quips. The Big Sleep is particularly full of them. From the Sternwood sisters to the taxi cab driver, every single one has a sexy quip for Marlowe, and he eats it right up. My absolute favorite is the bookstore clerk, who knows her antique tomes, pays attention to creepy neighbors, and is more than willing to close shop, and get drunk with Marlowe. Femme fatales are a dime a dozen ... but geeky bookstore girls? She's a treasure.
- 12 Actors You Forgot Were Child Stars - POPSUGAR
- Here's a Look at DC's 'Superman v. Batman' versus Marvel - HitFix
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Villains Revealed? - ScreenCrush
- Honest Trailers: 'Ghostbusters' (video) - ScreenJunkies
- Everything We Know About 'The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron' - Vulture
- Why 1999 Was the Best VMAs of All Time - POPSUGAR
- The Highs & Lows of the 2014 Emmys - Vulture
- 19 Amazing Kristen Wiig Moments From 'Bridesmaids' - POPSUGAR
- Woody Harrelson & Matthew McConaughey Charm at the Emmys - Vulture
- Superman & Lois Lane Take the Ice Bucket Challenge - ScreenCrush
Around the web
Stay Connected with Moviefone
Download the Free App!