A group of armored car guards plan to swipe several million dollars that have been left in their care. The presence of Laurence Fishburne and Matt Dillon offers some hope, but the basic premise recalls everything from Reservoir Dogs to the Oceans' series. When the youngest member of the gang makes Matt Dillon promise that no one will get hurt I cringed a little. This one hits theaters on September 18.
I'm torn about how I feel about this one. In the plus column this haunted house flick seems to have some real creep out moments and reminds me a bit of The Changeling. On the other hand I've never seen Tim Daly carry a feature before and the rest of the cast, which includes Tom Arnold, makes me feel like this is a TV movie. For those less skeptical (d'oh!) it hits theaters on May 1.
The Hungarian Countess Elizabeth Bathory (1560-1614) has been the subject of more horror films than I can count thanks to her habit of bathing in the blood of virgins in hopes of preserving her own youth. This film aims, presumably, at a more historically accurate portrayal of the Countess, making this a period costume drama with a grisly edge. No U.S. release date just yet.
My Sister's Keeper
When a young girl learns that she was conceived in the hopes of creating a bone marrow donor for her older sister she sues her parents for emancipation. Abigail Breslin, Cameron Diaz and Alec Baldwin star and the film comes out on June 26.
Willem Dafoe stars in this horror tale of a couple who retreat to a cabin in the woods after their son's death and even worse things begin to happen. This has a real WTF vibe as it is creepy but you're not really sure what's going on. No U.S. release date for this one yet.
The Girlfriend Experience
Set in the days leading up to the 2008 presidential election, this Steven Soderbergh film tells the story of a $2000 an hour call girl and how she deals with life, her clients and her boyfriend. Here's James Rocchi's review of the film. This one goes into limited release on May 22.
New this week on AOL Moviefone:
- Departures - Japanese film about a cellist who upon the dissolution of his orchestra finds himself working as a mortician.
- Love N Dancing - Romantic drama about a deaf dance instructor and his student entering in a national competition.
- Treeless Mountain - South Korean film about two young children who must care for each other after they are abandoned by their mother.
- Astroboy - Second trailer for the new CGI feature adaptation of the classic anime.
- The Brothers Bloom - Second trailer for the con artist comedy starring Rachel Weisz and Adrien Brody.
- Sorority Row - A mysterious killer begins stalking those involved with a sorority member's death.
- Summer Hours - Drama from France concerning a family forced to figure out what to do with their mother's home and belongings after her death.
- The Garden- Documentary about a 14-acre urban garden in South Central LA and the community's battle with the city government to keep it open.
- Il Divo - Feature based on the life of controversial Italian prime minister Giulio Andreotti.
- Stand Up Edition 1 - First in a series of theatrical films featuring performances by many of today's hottest stand up comedians.