CATEGORIES Comedy, Drama, Foreign Language, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Trailer Trash, Family Films, Trailers and Clips, Cinematical
The last time we saw Sam Rockwell in outer space he was playing the two headed President of the Galaxy Zaphod Beeblebrox in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He plays it a little closer to home this time as the lone employee of a mining company working an outpost on the moon. He works his three-year tour of duty with hope of returning to his wife and daughter when it's all done, but things go wrong when he discovers a downed space craft (at least I think that's what's going on) containing an injured man who is his exact duplicate. This looks like a science fiction thriller with a lot of potential and things get luney (for a limited release anyway) on June 12.
Historical drama with a lot of flare starring Johnny Depp as notorious bank robber John Dillinger. Throw in Christian Bale as FBI agent Melvin Purvis and Billy Crudup (yes, the blue naked guy from Watchmen) as J. Edgar Hoover and you've got a gangster flick worth seeing. This second trailer brings to mind films like The Untouchables and Road to Perdition. Watch for this one on July 1.
Robert Rodriguez has proven equally adept at making children's movies and flicks for grownups. This time he's plunging back into the kiddie pool with a story about a put upon kid who discovers a magic rock that makes all his wishes come true. I'm far from the target demo but the film looks cute and I got a few laughs out of the trailer. We'll be seeing this one on August 7.
A comedy detailing the personal and professional woes of a flower-extract plant owner. Apparently Ben Affleck has solved his over exposure problem by hiding behind a massive beard. I like Affleck and pretty much everybody else in this cast, which includes Mila Kunis and Jason Bateman, and with Mike Judge directing I'm definitely on board. I'm just hoping this ends up finding a bigger audience than Judge's underrated Idiocracy. Watch for this one in a limited release on September 4.
Rudo Y Cursi
Two brothers working a banana plantation in Mexico get there chance at the big time when a big city soccer recruiter offers them a chance to play the sport professionally. Could be a decent tale of sibling rivalry and I like the cover of "I Want You To Want Me" that plays over the trailer. This Spanish language film gets a limited U.S. release on May 8.
New This Week On AOL Moviefone:
- Lemon Tree - A Palestinian woman's livelihood is threatened when a government official moves in next door and declares the surrounding lemon grove to be a security threat.
- Fame - Reimagining of the 1980 film about students at The New York City High School of Performing Arts.
- Rain - A man and woman find each other over the course of a few rainy days in Argentina.
- Away We Go - An expectant couple embark on a cross-country trip to find a place to raise their family.
- Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - Third trailer for the animated sequel.
- Valentino: The Last Emperor - Documentary about famed fashion designer Valentino Garavani.
- I Love You Beth Cooper - A geeky high school valedictorian declares his love for a popular cheerleader during his commencement speech.